Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Colorado that had a manual dimming switch and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2008...
Hi, I have a 2008 Colorado that had a manual dimming switch and OnStar. I upgraded it to a self dimming w. OnStar plus 2 map lights. I have the dimming and OnStar working but I need a mirror wiring plug diagram to complete the install. Would you have one by chance?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you needing the wiring for the dimming mirror set up?

the new mirror is already installed. As i previously mentioned, the dimming and OnStar are working but I need a schematic of the connector on the rear of this particular mirror (with map lights) so that I can get everything working.
I can't afford more.

Im not asking for any more money or a phone call, those are site generated. I asked you, Are you needing the wiring for the dimming mirror set up?

That plus the additional connection for the map lights. Just the schematic please. I can figure out the correct wiring with that. I have built 30 or so computers and have been using computers since the DOS days. I'm 71 years old. So I am a bit wiring literate. Thank you for helping I'm looking forward to the install finish.

Okay have a look at the link below for the schematic. See if this is what you needing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9rcxjs2i2lec2o/dimming%20mirror%20Nov%2022.pdf?dl=0

I'm sorry but no. The additional connections for the map lighting is not showing in the configuration. BTW This mirror does not have a compass or the outside temperature sensor. Just the self dimming (working), OnStar (working) and the 2 map lights which have individual switches under the mirror (not working). I do appreciate your trying.

This is the only wiring diagram for the dimming mirror for the 2008 Colorado that GM offers. Are you sure the mirror your trying to install is from a 2008?

I contacted the seller plus the mounting and connector fit perfect in my truck. I just have to move a couple of wires in the fitting. I just need to know which ones and where. the seller couldn't help and i can usually find answers myself. I was just hoping someone else could help finding the wiring design.

Well I do not have any different diagrams for the 2008 so I will open this back up for you and perhaps some one else dose.

Thanks, ***** ***** I'll just have to pull it back apart and trouble shoot it wire by wire. I wanted to avoid that part. I don't mind but it's just time consuming and I'm running out of time. LOL
Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this?

I can provide you with the proper wiring diagram for the mirror with the map lights?

Hello Tim, I haven't been home for awhile and I had to leave before I got to communicate with you. I should be able to chat a bit with you Monday morning. Mom is 90 and she's having quite a few health problems lately. I'll log on then and see what you have found for me. Tom

I am on today if you want to continue?

I see you messaged me about 2:00pm. That s when I pick my daughter up at school. Please excuse me but my mother (90) has been in the hospital twice in the last 2 months. First for internal bleeding in her stomach and second for a minor stroke and there have been 6 or 7 doctors visits. There's an appointment tomorrow at 2:15 and she is now staying with me. Plus I have a 17 yo daughter that I have to tend to. So my "self" time is limited. If you can, please furnish me with a schematic of the mirror I described. Once again, I'm sorry I'm not convenient.
I just looked and I have had $5.00 and $18.00 already charged to my credit and I still don't have an answer. Please advise

I am on right now, give me a second to get you that schematic,Tim

Thanks Tim, I am in no major hurry. I was thinking about it the other day and I just got the urge to get it finished. I do appreciate your help.
Tom

ok, below is the wiring diagram for map lights and interior lighting, on the left side is the connection at the mirror for the map lights, it will be the an orange wire and it goes to in 6 of the connection at the mirrror, you will also have yo add a ground wire to pin 8 of that connector for the map lights to work,Tim

Tim, I'm sorry but I believe you folks have missed the boat. I'm not speaking of the vehicle's wiring diagram.
"Hi, I have a 2008 Colorado that had a manual dimming switch and OnStar. I upgraded it to a self dimming w. OnStar plus 2 map lights. I have the dimming and OnStar working but I need a mirror wiring plug diagram to complete the install. Would you have one by chance?" and "22 November 2017 01:33, the new mirror is already installed. As i previously mentioned, the dimming and OnStar are working but I need a schematic of the connector on the rear of this particular mirror (with map lights) so that I can get everything working."I need a schematic for the connector what is constant v., switched v., and grounds inside the mirror that the power source plugs into. I truly thought that I was specific enough to get a correct answer, but I guess not. Please advise or say you can't furnish what I seek and refund my credit card. Thanks for trying. In the mean while I'll take it back apart and check it wire by wire. Maybe I can furnish you guys a mechanical drawing of the connector after I'm done. Tom

yes, I can give you a pinout of the connector, but realize the orange wire will NOT be in the harness of your vehicle, since it did not have the map lights from the factory, you will need to add an orange wire coming from the wire on pin A30 of the BCM, body control module, it will also be a orange wire, then run that wire to the pin 6 on the mirror connector, and then add a wire on pin 8 and run it to ground, give me a second to get the connector view of the mirror

below is the connector pin out at the mirror, in pin 6, you most likely have a wire for the ambient temp sensor, but since the new mirror does not have the tamp, remove this wire, on your new mirror, the pin 6 is for the map lights, and if there is a black wire in #8 then you dont have to add the ground wire,Tim

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I will pull the mirror tomorrow or Wed and seewhat's cooking. Thanks Tim. Can I contact you again to let you know my results? Tom

You bet, after rating me, the question will stay up 30 days, and you can come back at anytime, and ask follow ups at no charge,Thanks,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me?? I do not get paid unless you do?