Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My key won't turn the vehicle over but my alarm remote will…

Customer Question
Hello. My key won't...

Hello. My key won't turn the vehicle over but my alarm remote will start the vehicle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I'm sorry the key looks okay but I have a dummy key or backup

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1999 Malibu 3100

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm in a tough spot it's either the ignition switch or a computer issue not sure what I need to do maybe buy a ignition switch and repair it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Again I can start the car via remote or by running a wire from starter to battery.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Clifton B., Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., Auto Service Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today

can you remove the key from ignition and reinsert no problem ??

ok your problem is cause by the tumblers inside the ignition switch they wear out inside the switch casuing the key to stop working you will need to replace the ignition switch to fix the problem

do you have any more questions ??

how much will this cost me and is this a simple repair?

let me check please hold

1.5 hours for labor and $195 in parts

please rate the service before you go as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks. if you have more questions please ask .

Where in Tuscaloosa Al can I get that price and is this something I can possibly repair?

I do not know I am in pa sorry , you will have to call around . the repair need to be done at the repair shop as the key needs to be recode after the repair and you will not be able to do that

r u there ?

do you have nay more questions

Where in Tuscaloosa Al can I get that price and is this something I can possibly repair? I'm here.

the replay to that question is posted above please read above

it will need to be recoded?

correct.

if you have no m ore questions please rate the service as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks.

Okay

thanks please use the rating button on the chat page .

h​I , can you please come back to just answer and rate the service as I still did not get pau and will not until you do thanks .

How do I rate it or where do I go?

hI it is done from the chat page that your talking to me on now thanks

look for the rating button