Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 SSR, the drivers door is stuck shut and cannot…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2006 SSR, the drivers door is stuck shut and cannot get it to open. The door panel is pulled enough away to get access to the latch from the inside and cannot get it to release manually.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SSR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have worked for Chevrolet before as a technician, and I have tried everything short of prying the door open

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Usually,when you go to open the door, the window will lower a little before it opens. That is not happening either.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/23/2017
Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are a handful of things that can prevent the door from opening.

If something foreign was closed in the door, there was a door or striker adjustment issue, or if there is physical damage to the door or body then that can prevent it from opening. Any of these things should have been apparent so I don't expect them to be the case.

You could have a linkage issue. If the door handles move with normal resistance then the linkage should be intact, but if they don' feel as if they are connected then the linkage been the handles and latch isn't intact. This could be due to broken attaching clips or broken handles.

If the linkage is intact then odds are you have a bad latch. The door panel will need to be removed to inspect the linkage and if it is determined that the latch is bad then it will need to be cut/broken/dismantled until the pawl can be moved manually to open the door and then replace the latch.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.