Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

After replacing distributor, struggled getting timing right.

Customer Question
After replacing distributor, struggled...

After replacing distributor, struggled getting timing right. Drove for a few weeks with it seemingly close. Took it to a shop for timing correction, now P0420 code. The cats are only a few months old. Could timing still be off, but not triggering a P1345?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0420, yes I reset it after replacing O2 sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

99 Tahoe 4x4 5.7L Vortec

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm pretty handy. O2 sensors, lacquer thinner and Cataclean

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeah, my steering is so sloppy. I've replaced every part of the front suspension except the lower control arm bushings, which also are past due. No real improvement in tightening up the steering. Gear box?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 5 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

if the ignition timing was off,,you would get the 1345 code

soi dont think the timing is off

if youused an after market converter,this may be why you are getting the code

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Catalytic Converter

Catalytic Converter

15733231 - $1750.00

Order By Description. Gas Engines Include: Front Pipe

i will upload some tests/checks you can do for this code

as for the steering,you need to have your help to sit in the truck and shake the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering components to see where the play is,,it is very possible the the thrust bearing is worn in the gear box

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk7zfzm5oh370r0/1121-tahoe-DTC%20P0420%20Catalyst%20System%20Low%20Efficiency%20Bank%201.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/lk7zfzm5oh370r0/1121-tahoe-DTC%20P0420%20Catalyst%20System%20Low%20Efficiency%20Bank%201.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic