Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 Chevy Silverado 4.3 4x4. Was driving approximately 65

Customer Question
mph and surged and then...
2001 Chevy Silverado 4.3 4x4. Was driving approximately 65 mph and surged and then died. Pretty sure was fuel issue. Got truck back home by tow truck. Could here fuel pump come on but no fuel at the shrader valve when depressed.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Original, had truck since 2001 with19k at pirchase, has 125k now.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I went ahead and pulled tank thinking hose had came off of line. Pulled pump and the hose was intact and when jumped with 12v fuel did spray out of inlet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Could not here pump come on on the roadside, may have been too much road noise.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Chevy
11/21/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 27 days ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the tank reinstalled again and is the pump now heard to run and do you have fuel at the test port?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Dude, I just pulled the tank and came to you for some insight of what might be going on. I’m not going to put it back in with out investigating as to why. This not a good way to start this conversation!

I just wanted to see if you had reinstalled it as I have had customers that actually do reinstall it then come here for advice.I apologize for this.

Can you submerge the pump in a tank of fuel or container of fuel and reconnect the fuel lines and connection and see if you now have fuel at the schrader valve?What happens is the pump can run but not produce any fuel pressure intermittently and when you removed the tank it may have allowed the pump to operate by when you removed the pump it bumped the pump enough to then operate again.I have seen several fuel pumps heard to run with no pressure then smacked the bottom of the tank and it starts to produce pressure and the pump had to be replaced as it was an intermittent fault in the pump itself.If you reconnect it to the fuel feed line and submerge it either in the tank with the tank hanging on a jack or in a container of fuel and it then produces fuel the pump needs replaced.

If it does not produce any fuel at the schrader valve but it does have fuel spraying out of the pump feed line itself then either the fuel filter is plugged needing replaced or there is a kink or damage to the fuel feed line and you would need to follow the line to locate any damage to it.

In most cases I would say it is the fuel filter itself at fault or the fuel pump needing replaced.This was a very common fault on this model.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Where is the fuel filter.

It is located on the inside frame rail on the drivers side.I would say about under the drivers front seat area as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7kgky1n2n7m0yb/ff-11-21.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I found the fuel filter, I’ve never seen a fuel filter so clogged that no gas can get through. I have seen them create runibility issues and such.

I have before.Not very often but I have.One way to check it is remove it and blow through the inlet side and see if you can blow through it.I have had myself red in the face before trying to blow through a clogged filter.If it blows through any at all then the pump is the cause.If it does not then I would replace the filter.Keep in mind the number one killer for fuel pumps is fuel filter being clogged.I have had to replace both the filter and the pump at the same time.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do plan on changing the filter, before I replace pump, but again it would surprise me that it would be clogged 100% as we was driving down the road and at a snap of a finger we lost fuel. I won’t close this session until my truck is running. That might be a few days from now. Thanks

No problem.

If it occurred suddenly driving down the road and you had no fuel at the schrader but you could hear the pump run there is a good chance it is the pump that was at fault here.

Reply back here when ready.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician