Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Misfireon new 6.0 Liter Chevy engine with only 100 miles on…

Misfireon new 6.0 Liter...

Misfireon new 6.0 Liter Chevy engine with only 100 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

100 miles on the engine. Automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004chevy 2500 hd 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 2500?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the original 6.0 with Jasper engine. I recently had Jasper replace it due to misfire and oil usage. The now 3rd engine is missing and only has about 100 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No... no need to repeat it all. Just connect me

11/21/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried swapping coils to see if the misfire changes to a different cylinder?

Brand new engine, plugs, wires, coil packs
Talk here
Hello...?

No... talk here
Already answered your question

ok well try it and let me know

Read my above message where I answered your question the FIRST time

you havent answered anything and your being very short , its like you want me to waive a magic wand and fix your engine from here

No.... scroll up. You will see where I said...
It is a new engine, new plugs, new wires, new coil packs.

what does that have to do with switch coils around?????? just because its new dosent mean its good.

Apparently, you did not read the entire thing before i got connected.The original motor started missing and severely shaking and had between 375,000-400,000 miles on the engine. Mechanic told me it was the cam shaft. I replaced the engine with a Jasper 6.0 Liter gas engine. It had a random miss to start with but became worse over a years time and started loosing oil. Jasper just replaced the engine. I've driven the truck approximately 100 miles. The severe miss is back. My question is
What else could it possibly be effecting the electrical system... like maybe fuse box, the computer, ...?
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a GM technician and would be happy to help you out.Does the truck currently have the check engine light on?
Have you checked the code numbers? That would help point this in the right direction
We're you able to read any thing I discussed with the previous individual?
I did, I see that it is a new engine assembly with new plugs/wires. There are a number of things that could be causing that. Does the trouble code reading have anything other than misfire codes?
I haven't checked the code yet. When the engine light was on with the previous new engine, all it said was missing on cylinder 1 and told how many times it had missed.
I'm trying to find out any other possibilities to check also.
Okay I see. Since the engine is replaced with the same problem now multiple times that makes me believe there is an issue in the wiring/computer, it is possible that the ignition signal is not grounding properly, therefore the ignition system would not get proper voltage.Did they replace the injectors/intake manifold with the new engine assemblies?
The injectors have been checked, fuel pressure... I forget what else. It has been in the shop several times getting checked trying to locate the problem of misfire and then loosing oil. As far as the intake, I think they used the original.
Alright if injectors and pressures have been checked then next thing I would do is check the spark signal at each of the coils. If each cylinder has spark and fuel then we have to move onto the intake/timing system, I have seen a few of these have camshaft position sensors that failed and caused multiple random misfires
Wouldnt the mechanic shop check the cam position sensor when swapping motors?
Yeah you would think they should, but it's possible that it got over looked, people get in the habit of changing things quick so they may have forgotten or not even known
Ok. Ill check with the shop tomorrow. Encase they did... any other ideas...
If everything mechanical checks out good then I will be leaning towards an Ecm issue
ECM?
Engine control module
Ok. You've been very helpful. With all this headache, kind regret not trading it when I could have. Lol
Glad I could help, I am logging off for the night, but give me an update tomorrow and I will be herr to help. We'll get this figured out :)
Ok. Thanks again.
You're welcome. Have a great night.When you get a minute I would appreciate if you could leave me a positive rating by clicking the stars above, that is how I am compensated for my time. Thank You!
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Hello. Just saw your email. I haven't had a chance to check the suggestions you offered.
Working 84 hours this week. Hopefully I can check it out Saturday on my only off day.
Okay no problem, let me know if you need any help in the process
Will do. Thanks again.
You're welcome, have a great night
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician