Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Chevy Lumina car. I have had problems with my…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Chevy...
I have a 1999 Chevy Lumina car. I have had problems with my turn signals. All the lights work but the turn signals have trouble sometimes I have to jiggle the turn signal wand to make the blinker blink and normal timing. What am I usually try to Signal the left or the right it will blink really fast and not working the back so the only way I've been getting it to work is by jiggling my wand and then I can get it to work temporarily but I am sick of dealing with it and want to know what the problem is. I just replaced the bulbs and that didnt seem to fix it. What should I try to do to narrow down what product to buying it replaced?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/21/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Ok I look forward to getting this solved

Since the rear bulb stops working sometimes we know problems is either connector to bulb or wiring to bulb, most likely the connector. I would recommend wiggling around wiring near bulb and connector to see if you can get it to act up then depending on which one gets it to start/stop working you will know the problem. If connector is the problem you can buy a replacement connector from parts store, cut off old connector, and wire in a new connector with wire nuts. Repair would probably cost around $100 to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I think I misunderstood your description. Problem happens with both sides?

To give more information it was only doing it to the left signal the last few months but now it's doing it to the right signals as well. For the last signal it's always the back bulb for the right signal it's the front bulb. When I turn on the Panic lights they blank perfectly. So is it still the connector for each bulb? even though they work perfectly and constantly with panic lights?Also on the dash when trying to signal to my right when it doesn't work it doesn't blink on the dashboard just stays not lit

Thanks for the update and sorry about confusion. This would mean the turn signal switch has failed. The turn signal switch has different circuits for front, rear, left, and right and is the only thing that would cause problem and allow wiggling switch to make it work again. This is a 1.5 hour job at a shop and a $150 part so you are looking at around $300 total at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

the turn signal switch there's only one part involved? Or is it multiple turns switches for each side?

It is called a "multifunction switch or combination switch" because it does multiple things such as turn signals, wipers, hi/low beams, ect. But it is just one switch. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

I tried Googling the part and I'm overwhelmed with the options can you send me a picture of the part? Or a link to where I can purchase this part? Do I need a new wand or is it just a turn signal switch?

S​ure, give me a few minutes to find one. Thanks.

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.