Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

We just bought a 2017 Chevy Traverse LT. I would like to

Hi- We just bought a...
Hi- We just bought a 2017 Chevy Traverse LT. I would like to replace the steering wheel with the heated wheel available only in the Premium trim. Looking at GM parts websites it's easy to pick out a steering wheel, clock spring and wiring harness that are listed as being heated-wheel-specific. Are there any other parts that are needed? Is this something that I can try to tackle myself? I do a lot of shadetree mechanic stuff and use Youtube and AlldataDIY manuals for guidance. Thanks!
11/21/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

It will need a new climate control unit as that commands the heated steering wheel, and will need the new climate control unit programmed, as well as the body control module reflashed with the heated steering wheel option RPO programmed into it. The programming can only be done by a dealer with factory level scan tool and software download from the GM tech site.

So you can install the parts yourself, but will require a visit to a GM dealer for the programming. BEFORE purchasing anything, call your local GM dealers to make sure that they will do the programming for you as many refuse to do this for any customer installed parts. While not a customer friendly policy, they are within their rights not to offer it.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you Eric. I actually like the manual climate control better than the automatic (and I'm sure the cost of the automatic climate is big!) so we'll stick with what we've got. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

you are welcome and you and yours have a nice thanksgiving as well

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Hi Eric-
Well I contacted the selling dealer and asked them for a price for the parts and install but they said they don't feel comfortable tearing apart a brand new vehicle. They've been like that before though. I bought a GM accessory heated seat kit for our 2011 Traverse and they wouldn't install it, but another local dealer did. I looked at aftermarket stuff but it seems pretty cheesy, so I looked online for the automatic climate control unit and actually found one on Ebay from a 2017 for only $40 so I'm back to wanting to install the factory stuff. So can you confirm that the only actual parts we need would be:
STEERING WHEEL - GM (23330594)
WIRE HARNESS - GM (22987795)
DASH CONTROL UNIT - GM (23251326)
CLOCK SPRING - GM (23248442)
The VIN for our Traverse is 1GNKVGKD7HJ350130, if that helps.
Thanks again!

HI,

Sorry for the delay - Christmas tree cutting day.

According to your vehicle's Vin number, those are indeed the correct part numbers and the only ones needed. Just make sure that the Ebay seller for the control unit has good ratings and a return policy if bad.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
You are the man. Thank you Eric and I hope your freshly-cut tree is beautiful!

You are welcome.

And it is. We live in the Black Hills of SD and they let you cut any tree in the National Forest for $10.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Some day we want to visit out there. We had never been west of Chicago till this summer when we went to Las Vegas and now we're in love with the west. SD and Vancouver are on top of my list!

It is beautiful out here. I moved here 9 yrs ago from Qualla Cherokee Reservation in NC.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager