Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Caprice police from AU. It has the LS engine.

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Caprice police from AU. It has the LS engine. The radio and contrtol panel alway works when you first drive it but it fails with out warning Some times it will restart and stay on for an hour other times just a few minutes.When it finally shuts down it is done for the day. Next time you drive it it is back to normal. The display screen, radio and heater are effected. Also I need interior lights to come on when you open door. It would also be nice to shut off traction control.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes, but dealer is very unsure of success.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caprice yourself? What have you tried so far?

I got another complete control with everything in it but read they don't work for any car but the one they came out of.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The dealer said the interior lights may have been left unwired leaving the door open for big expense.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Is it still right hand drive, or converted to left hand drive?

There should be a button to disable the interior lighting.

You can also put the interior into surveillance mode.

The heater radio panel has a communication dropout occuring.

Might require a screen replacement.

Needs to be scanned for codes.

Gary

Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

I am trying to get info for a shop owner friend that has the correct computer tool to make changes to computer but asked me to to find info to help him narrow fixes down to keep price down. The dealer is a known rip off. I know guys that work there. They find a $80 problem and the service writer turns it into a $800 problem. I have read my manual and it tells some of the specifics Other things are vague. I need someone that has actually worked on these cars. You have been of no help, but thanks for trying. Geeorge..

George,

We have this car in Australia, and I worked on them countlss times.

If this is truly an Australian Caprjce, then you need a Holden scan tool.

A 2013 should be a VF/WN series.

I wish you well.

Gary

Here's the vin.6G1MK5U2XL828755. FYI as these were imported as police cars only, they all have the horns, trunk disable (so bad guy can't get in and grab guns) interior lights, so they can be sneaky and the traction control full time (no burnouts LOL). Just so maybe you can help the next guy. What I actually need to know is what's wired out and what's computed out. Good luck to you as well. My best friend Ian Powell, as well as my daughter live in Shepp. He goes by Racetronics and repairs and sell dynos all over Au. I should have asked him as his good friend is a Holden dealer and would know a tech from the factory that would know the answer. Good luck to you as well George
Sorry not his good friend, his mate. I get better when I get over there for about a week.Tada
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician