Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Brought in to the shop i have used for decades. Was told…

Customer Question
Brought in to the...

Brought in to the shop i have used for decades. Was told maybe $2000 to fix it. No even sure what it is. Todays problem - car won't start. Yesterday it started and I drove it to work and back. It idled and felt like it was going to die out everytime I stopped. Drop it off at the shop and today they could not get it started. Just had it towed to my driveway and I turned the key only to hear noise but no catching to turn motor on. Nothing but and endless sound.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in park. I don't think I have wheel lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2005 chevy cavilier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just had it towed to my drive. I recently put $1400. into the car and bought 4 new tires. So I wasn't going to just leave it for the shop to dispose of it. Before this it was in really good shape.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of. When I turn the key it just dose not turn over.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I see that the vehicle is not starting. Did that shop tell you what the problem with the vehicle is? Also, when you say the vehicle will not turn over, do you mean that nothing happens when you turn the key, or is it that the vehicle is trying to start but wont?

Trying to start but won't. It is not silent there is noise but it dose not turn over or even connect at all. It was suggested that the -----train may be broke. Maybe $2000
Really do not want to pay anymore

I understand. While trying to start does the motor spin very fast(like there is no compression) or does it crank slow or normal?

If that you trying to charge $2000, then they must be replacing the cam shaft or the timing components. I'm thinking that the timing components may have failed. Did you here a lot of rattling or any type of noises while the car was running?

No unusual noise. Just sounds like it is trying to start but nothing is connecting

Was it determined if the vehicle was getting fire or fuel. What was the $2000 being charged for?

timing chain

If this is the case, then the timing chain must have popped. This means that the vehicle will not start no matter what you trying. Here I am attaching the replacement information for the timing chain. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depends on the hourly rate of the shop. The price tag must be due to the fact that this motor is an interference engine meaning if the timing chain breaks, the valves are likely bent also. In order to repair this vehicle you will need to have the timing and the valves done.

.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.