Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need an 2.2 ecotec expert. 2007 Chevy cobalt lt 2.2 ecotec…

Customer Question
I need an 2.2...

I need an 2.2 ecotec expert

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 Chevy cobalt lt 2.2 ecotec engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

220000ish automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I don't feel like explaining it again to you cause it's about the exhaust and last time (10ish min ago) I did you asked about hoses which had nothing to do with what I wrote

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name Nelson and I have been an Automotive Technician for over 12 years.

What seems to be the problem with your exhaust?

I have an 07 Chevy cobalt lt. Exhaust manifold cracked and had to replace. The exhaust manifold that is for my car is not the right one (checked autozone, advance, oreillys, and online). The new manifold doesn't have enough meat (the face isn't wide enough to cover the sai ports on the head and created an exhaust leak). After trying to do some research I found the manifold for the 2006 cobalt 2.2 ecotec would fit properly (which i also bought) but the tubes are noticeably smaller and the exit of the manifold that connects to the flex pipe isn't round (it's almost half a circle) and the original wasn't like that at all. Basically the 06 manifold is a lot more restrictive. (1)Why can't I find the right manifold for my car? My engine does not have an SAI system. (2) why does exhaust come out of the sai ports on the head? (3) I was thinking of machining the old original manifold to be an adapter plate. Basically cut the tubes off, machine surface, mill a space to allow exhaust from the sai ports to exit into the tubes to allow more flow, and then mount the "correct" manifold to that adapter. Either the correct one or the wrong 07 one I bought since I won't have to worry about the sai holes having to be covered with the adapter plate.
Hey the "call me" thing....is it just 26 bucks on top of the 5 five bucks? I think this would be easier and faster to talk about.
Chevy Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago

sorry I am not able to take any phone calls at the moment

how badly is the original manifold cracked? could you get it welded back together?

Also I do know that the flex pipe right behind the manifolds tend to leak are you sure that it might not be coming from that?

The manifold was cracked right down the middle. The bellow has a tiny leak in it but that irrelevant to this. I'm 100 percent sure. Everything I said this far has been verified.
Chevy Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago

sorry i didn't mean to come across that I was doubting that the manifold wasn't cracked, I just know that they also have a tendency to leak from the flex pipe as well, since I have welded in replacements many times.

as for your problem with not getting the correct manifold that you need, I might suggest either welding your crack back together if that is possible, or contacting the dealership for the correct part.

It's fine. I wasn't taking what you said poorly just letting you know that everything I said was verified. I appreciate your answer but I doesn't answer my questions at all. The two things you suggest are nothing new and doesnt help me. The cast manifold is 10 yrs old and I don't want to attempt to weld on cast. And I'm trying to deviate from going to a dealer and that's why I'm trying to get an answer on here from a professional instead. As far as my question as to why I cant find the right manifold....how many variations are there for a 2007 cobalt lt? The second question why is there exhaust coming out of the SAI ports on the head is due to me not understanding a damn thing about the system....where are those ports routed from or how are those ports routed....how does exhaust get to those ports?
Chevy Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago
That I am not sure if I will do some more research and find you an answer as to how those ports are used