Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My transmission is jerking between 1st and 2nd and is

Customer Question
My transmission is jerking...

My transmission is jerking between 1st and 2nd and is automatic. Not noticed in regular driving but in stop and go. A little hesitaion between 2nd and 3rd.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

98 chevy conversion van. I made a very long trip from NM to MD for holiday and just didn't notice a problem until the miles of stop and go driving from Richmond through DC into MD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Son looked at the fluid level which was between "cold and hot" and closer to cold as the car was just started. He parked it on the flat. No leak noticed

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

I would have to ask my husband about the hoses. He had the fluid changed before the trip and I asked him about the filter but he hasn't answered me yet. We live in rural NM off dirt road

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Goodness I don't know.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd 1st ask what colour of the transmission oil is? As it should be a dark red colour, if its black then its needs changing

I'd also say the next step is to drop the sump pan off the unit and clean out the filter screen as they can become clogged up over time

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you