Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2016 Equinox. I have installed a Hopkins wiring…

Customer Question
I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Equinox. I have installed a Hopkins wiring harness that connects the brake/turn lights to my RV. I was told that if your brake lights come on without the ignition on, then you need a brake light relay. In trying to attach the brake light relay, I can't get any current off the switch at the top of the brake pedal. What am I doing wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

What the hell does that have to do with it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a computer?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Is the BCM on the 2016 same as on 2013? Would I tap into white wire at terminal #11 to do this?
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Anthony Uzmack, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Anthony Uzmack
Anthony Uzmack, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, the way the 16 Equinox works there is no longer a 12v circuit at the pedal sensor only a 5v reference. When the pedal is pressed the sensor sends a signal to the BCM and then the BCM supplies the 12v power the the stop lamps.

there are provisional emergency vehicle blunt cuts in the stop lamp circuit near the BCMi believe that you could tap into for a 12v apply source If that is what you are looking for.

Is that at t er Minsk 22, the white wire in the black plug on the bcm?
Is that at the terminal 11, the white wire in the black plug on the bcm?
Anthony, what I am trying to do is stop the brake lights from coming on when the brake pedal is pushed while towing the Equinox behind my RV. I have put the Hopkins wiring kit on the Equinox to control the stop/brake/signal lights via the RV. However, I have been told that if the Equinox brake lights come on when pushing the brake pedal without the ignition light on then I need a "brake light relay" switch. I am told if not then when the Equinox brakes are applied (by the towing braking system) then those override the signal, etc lights. Is what you have told me the proper place to insert that switch so that the stop/signal lights work on the Equinox only when the ignition is on? I am using Roadmaster 88400 Brake-Lite Relay Kit.
PS, that wiring schematic is nice but "greek" to me.

Sadly I have no experience with the Roadmaster Kits so I am not sure exactly how it has to be wired for it to function correctly. I will opt out and open this up to another expert so that you can get the help you need. Sorry again

thanks.
Chevy Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 7 months ago
Cary York
Phone call session started
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi My Name is*****'m an A.S.E. Certified Master Technician with 30+yrs of G.M experience and would be Happy to assist you with your Equinox

Would you like to move forward with diagnosis

I am wondering how long it will be before Todd responds? thanks

I'm also not familiar with the roadmaster kits so i will opt out.

Todd, can you help me with the wiring on the Black Block #4 in the BCM on the 2016? I have found #11 which controls the middle upper stop light and also found the green #4 (I think) which controls the right stop light. However, I am having difficulty locating which wire handles the left stop light.
Does ANYONE on this forum know the wire positions on the Black block of the BCM on a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox? I will pay for a readable diagram or info. I have the middle brake light out put, the right brake light output, but cannot find the left brake light output. Thanks.
Sorry Just Answers, I'm beginning to have bad vibes about your website and the help it has.

Yes i will help you...please be patient....i will get a schematic for what you're requesting.....dont have any bad vibes we are all here to try and help

Todd, thanks for your reply and thanks for helping. I'm about to pull my hair (the rest) out as I can't seem to find any current on any other lead out of black block #4 when I depress the brake. Found right (green) and middle (White) lights but left is hiding very very well.

(the rest) is pretty funny...i'll get it for you soon....we could also speak on the phone if you would like.....entirely up to you

Todd, yes phone me. ..don't know if my acceptance went through.

I don't think it did

Todd, it says it has been sent and I accepted the $26 fee. Call me at *** *** ****. Thanks.

It hasn't been sent to me

What can I do. underneath your "It hasn't been sent to me" is the "Premium Service Offer: PhoneCall" and it had a check by "offer Accepted". Then it has "The Chevy Mechanic has confirmed your phone call...." the "When finished, you must rate..."
Don't know what else I can do.
Todd, Interestingly I just looked at my cc charges and see that I was charged $23.00 and $26.00 yesterday (Nov 24th) by "Just Answer" and I have not yet gotten "an answer"! LOL.