Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Chevy is overheating. It start and runs fine but then…

Customer Question
My Chevy is overheating...

My Chevy is overheating. It start and runs fine but then runs hot. All of a sudden, then, it will give a little surge and then the temp will drop quickly. On an older Chevy, I would suspect the thermostat. What else should I look for?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

No detectable leaking. Had a radiator flush a few days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 Malibu.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

At 75 I probably won't do it myself, although I did all my previous cars.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I suspect that coolants may have been mixed at some point. It acts as though it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

If coolants have been mixed you may have a clogged heater core and radiator depending on how bad the mix was, I would start with a system flush if this is the case and check flow on radiator and heater core to see if they may need replacement

That was my initial thought. Since the coolant had started to gel, I had thought is that probably it would collect on the thermostat until pressure built up enough to open it. I had the radiator flushed the other day, and it worked well for a day. After that it went back to what it had been doing.

did you have a shop do this flush? if so did they not check the heater core?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician