Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ automatic lift door not opening when…

Customer Question
My 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ...
My 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ automatic lift door not opening when I press the remote. I notice the light only flash once instead of twice like how it normally works. I can hear the relay make a tick when I press the button. I change the relay but didn't fix.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/19/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a GM technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

Did the problem just start or has it been happening for awhile? And when you go to open it at the rear button does everything work correctly?

Hi Gab, Good Evening. It just happen. It was working a few days ago but just not responding now.

Alright, I have seen this happen a couple times. Since it is flashing after you hit the button that means the module is receiving power but somewhere in the system there is a fault so it will not open. Most of the time when this happens it is due to a failed liftgate actuator.

The actuator has two motors inside inside of it that are commanded to open the liftgate, and when one of them fails it will not open it unless you got to the back and do it by hand

Actuator doesn’t make any noise as if it’s try to open. What would cause the light to only flash once? When I lock the truck with the remote the light doesn’t flash no more so I’m thinking it’s more than the actuator.

When the light only flashes once that is just the vehicle signalling that the process is incomplete. Alright if the actuator is not making any noise at all then it may be a power/signal issue. Let me pull open the diagram and see what feeds the power to the liftgate and we can check it out

Alright here is the diagram for the system. We need to start by checking the underhood fuse #74-30A and the dash panel fuse labeled OBJ DET-10A. These are the fuses that run power to the liftgate module, if either of them has popped it would cause the module to shut down, resulting in now power to the liftgate and the one flash when you try to open it

It is there in the right lower corner, the 2nd from the bottom, on top of the REAR WPR fuse

Sorry I found it after texting you. I checked both and looks to be good.

Okay great. Then the next step is going to be testing the power signal at the module and latch. Do you have access to a multimeter to do some voltage tests?

Alright then we need to test out the signal at the liftgate module, it will be the red/black red/white wires at the module. They should both have 12V at all times

Lets take it up tomorrow it’s getting late here. If that’s ok?

Yes that will be fine, I should be back online around 1pm pst