Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 chevy suburban, The hose that is attached from…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 chevy suburban, The hose that is attached from the transmission to thr radiator came off and spill the transmission fluid on the highway while my daughter was driving the truck. Needless to say the stop and did not move. I had to tow it home. A friend checked it and find out this was the case. We hooked back the hose and fill the transmission with 10 quarts of fluid. The truck goes into drive at neutral BUT did not go into reverse. Is this the neutral safety switch issue or something else..Please advice..thanks *****: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

This past January when i had to replace the transmission when it packed up on me when i went to Greensboro, North Carolina.. I had to tow the truck back to Maryland. An expensive trip four figure cost

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not. But my friend thinks it is the Neutral Safety switch that may be bad due to the loss of fluid. I was afraid to spend another four figure cost and he is helping. He thinks it is the switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My concern is If the truck can go into drive at neutral and then at drive mode also with the fact that it changes in shift at drive mode but just wont go into reverse, then could this be the switch problem or possibly something else.? Thanks

11/19/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

With the shifter in par or revers, does it fell like the transmission is in drive?

When the shifter is in reverse if feels like it tries to get in reverse but hums up and it is being forced. But if shift to neutral it goes into drive mode and the truck moves forward

So it is trying to lock in drive and revers at the same time. I am sorry to say it but the lack of fluid driving down the interstate has damaged the planetary gear set and locked them up. The transmission will have to be rebuilt to repair this problem.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Phone call session started

I have tried to call you twice. The system is buss and the call will not go through. Please give me a few minutes to try to call you again.

Ok or do you want me to call the number

You can not call the number and get me. The site uses a relay service for me to contact you.

You will need to have a transgo jr. shift kit installed and a Zpac for the over drive clutches.