Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Chevy Tracker 4wd 2.0 - Looking at the little hole in…

Customer Question
2000 Chevy Tracker 4wd 2.0...
2000 Chevy Tracker 4wd 2.0 - Looking at the little hole in the backing plate (rear wheels), which way do I turn the brake adjuster to tighten or loosen the brakes? Diagrams would help.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 day by:
11/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately I do not see any diagrams on this model for this adjustment here.Usually I jack up the rear wheels and block the front to keep the vehicle from rolling and then adjust clock wise to see if the brakes tighten up.If they do then i back off to give them enough slack to free spin.I would try clock wise and see if this allows proper adjustment.If the brakes do not tighten up this way then try counter clock wise.Here are the only instructions I see on this model here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e04qui7bvp66bd/b-11-20.gif?dl=0

1. Depress the brake pedal 3 times with 30 kg (66 lbs) of force using the J28662.
2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3. Rotate each rear tire and wheel assembly in order to inspect the brake shoe drag on the brake drum.
4. If the brake shoe drag on the brake drum is not correct, remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
5. Remove the brake drum. Refer to Brake Drum Replacement.
6. Inspect the brake drum. Refer to Brake Drum Inspection.
7. Inspect the brake shoes. Refer to Brake Shoe Inspection
8. Measure the outer diameter of the brake shoes.
9. If the outer diameter of the brake shoes is not within specification, turn the adjuster (2).
10. Install the brake drum. Refer to Brake Drum Replacement.
11. Depress the brake pedal 3 times with 30 kg (66 lbs) of force using the J 28662.
12. Rotate the brake drum in order to inspect the brake shoe drag on the brake drum. Ensure the brake shoe drag on the brake drum is correct.
13. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
14. Lower the vehicle.
15. Inspect the park brake lever travel. Refer to Park Brake Lever Adjustment in Park Brake.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician