Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Not every time but about 30% of the time it will grind

Customer Question
Not every time but...

Not every time but about 30% of the time it will grind really loud when out in reverse stops when it's in neutral or park then you can put it back in reverse and it doesn't do it again trans pulls fine and works properly but the transfer case is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes break lights no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I purchased a transfer case but have not gone any farther

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know the transfer case is out because previous owner informed me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Did you want replacement instructions to do it yourself or want to know how much it would cost at a shop? Thanks.

I want to know why transmission is grinding when I put it in reverse about 30% of time this happens

If the shift forks in transfer case get worn out it can slip out of proper position causing the grinding which I'm guessing is the situation so transfer case is grinding and since it is right next to transmission it sounds like the transmission. Transfer case is about a 3 hour job to replace at a shop and here are replacement instructions. Let me know if you have questions, thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/akf56s7s6meso9r/tcrr.pdf?dl=0​

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.