Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lost power on way home from work..popping and backfiring…

Customer Question
Lost power on way...

Lost power on way home from work..popping and backfiring ....looked like exaust coming out or air filter...parked it now wont start.....02 4.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent..feels like only running on 3 - 4 cylinders and now wont start...sonds like plugs firing before tdc

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Chevy?

3/4 ton savanna van...357k miles...still runs 40# ***** pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

In my drive way dont know where to start...timing chain?????

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this point other than can i fix it my self

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 5 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

a timing chain wouldnt be likely on this engine though it is possible

from the way you explain the probloem,i think it is one of two possible things,

1-you need to test the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 60psi at all times,,the fuel pump may be weak and needs replaced.

2-the distributor cap..these caps can go bad on the inside of them where they are wormed to where the plug wires come out of the cap straight,this is common with this vortec cap,,it is also very common to get a bad new cap and go though two or three before getting a good on.

i would think your distributor cap is your problem..

replace the cap and rotor if the fuel pressure is good

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

What about the drive gear on the distributor itself

remove the distributor cap and turn the engine,,if the rotor turns the drive gear is fine,,if the rotor doesnt turn,then the gear is bad..this isnt likely

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic