Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I drove my 2013 Chevy Suburban early this morning after

Customer Question
about 3miles it stared driving...
I drove my 2013 Chevy Suburban early this morning after about 3miles it stared driving sluggish it felt like the engine was going to stall when I was breaking for a red light when the light turned green as I went to drive my suburban drove sluggish it kind of felt like the the fuel pump was going out like no gas was getting to the pedal the engine seemed to almost want to die on me but it kept just sluggishly driving like shaky about another maybe 2-3miles the traction control light blinked OFF along with the Stabilizer light blinking Stabilization OFF then the check engine light started blinking and and dinging at me I them pulled into a gas station I was going to call my spouse before this our check engine light was on it Never blinked before today but the check engine like has been on for about 6 months randomly it would shit off for 1-2 weeks maybe a few days every 6-8 weeks it did that and the check engine light had been on like that most of the time for the past 7months ....anyway I called my spouse to see if he knew what I should do When on the phone with him I noticed the knob for the 4wheel drive was on 4wheel LOW the little tiny yellow light indicating it was in 4LOW was on I was like wtf one of my kids must have messed with that before I left my house the steering wheel blocks the 4wheel drive gear knob so I could not even see the tiny light showing 4wheel LOW my hubby told me to just drive on it don't speed I followed all his instructions On drove about 30miles round trip with the about first 6or so in 4wheel LOW going about 35-40 the fastest stoped at some red lights now driving in 2wheel the traction control and stabilization warning light is on showing OFF on both the button to turn traction control on or off does not do anything when I slow down it feels like my transmission is kicking down into lower gears to slow down my vehicle drives very shaky not a smooth ride like it was ....my husband it saying I majorly messed up the car like destroyed the engine or transmission although he has not been home to drive feel or listen to the suburban ....Can anyone tell me what I should do too it to a mechanic put transmission fluid in it check for air leaks? Any ideas on an easy fix not a major blow up??
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
11/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing well despite the current vehicle issues. My name is***** am a GM master technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

So the driveability issues you were experiencing sounded common to a failed throttle body, that is a very very common problem on these. If you are able to get a scan tool and read the codes that would help us a lot.

As long as you did not drive highway speeds with it in 4LOW it should not have damaged/affected anything to extreme. It seems to me like the vehicle may have defaulted into limp mode after the warnings came on, and that is why the ABS/Traction lights are flashing.

If you park the vehicle put it into Neutral, and then turn the switch from 4LOW back to 2wheel, and then go in reverse a few feet. This process should disengage the 4WD system.

Try this and let me know what you find :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok really because it really feels and sounds like the transmission is kicking bad when I slow down almost to a stop it does it 2 times and it drives very shaking my kids said it feels like we are driving grandpa's 1997 car the shakes is bumpy ride before this event today it drove very smooth other than when stopped at an idle it had a slight misfire other than that the smoothest ride no issues at all? It is really driving like it doesn't want to stay running why would it be driving so shaky
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am walking out to my Suburban now I will do the things you said step by step exactly as you explained...thank you I will stay on here and let you know in just a minute

Does it shake and run rough at idle? Or only when you are moving and slowing down? I am trying to piece it together in my head here and see exactly what could be going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shakes more when stopped and when I'm first taking off or slowing down when I get to about 30mph-40mph it seems to almost go back to normal the warning light for traction control and Stabilization go away at those speeds but they come back on after a few minutes of stable driving at same speed the check engine light also goes off at that same time but a few minutes it comes back on but doesn't blink anymore

Okay, it may seem strange but I am thinking we may have a throttle body concern. Based off everything you have told me, it is the one common part on these engines that could display all of the symptoms you have described. We would have to get the check engine light scanned to say for sure, but I do not think this is a transmission issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok do you want me to go through the steps driving in reverse to see if that worked I just started my car. Also just if it helps it does not seem to be making any kind of noise just shaky bumpy seems to not want to stay running then the warning lights beeping and check engine blinking why would it blink?

It's worth a shot just to be sure the 4WD is fully disengaged.

When the check engine light is blinking that is happening to let you know that it is no longer a warning, but that there is a hard fault in the system that needs to get checked out. Depending on what you/your husband's mechanical skills are it may be best to see if the local dealer service center can get this plugged in and looked at, you do not want to cause any actual damage by continuing to drive it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I have a AutoZone about 2miles from me will it still be safe to drive it since I've been having the check engine light blinking I have probably driven maybe 15-20miles is that a lot? So is this throttle thing unrelated to me driving in 4Low and it is ok to go like 40mph when in 4wheel LOW what speeds would be dangerous to cause some type of damage?

Okay it should be alright to drive there to at least get the codes checked.

Generally it is advised that you never travel over 50mph in 4WD, although I have known people who kept there's locked in all the time.

Let me know what you find when you get to Autozone :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not been able to leave for AutoZone yet my kids needed mommy. I wanted to tell you not sure if this but a couple days ago like 4 or so while driving it sounded like there was a window cracked the sound of like a breeze no windows were cracked even my kids were saying whose window is rolled down could that noise be anything I need to concern myself with we haven't figured out what it is but it still is there

Not a problem, I will be online tomorrow as well if you don't get there tonight.

That sounds like it is most likely a loose piece of weatherstripping, a pretty simple fix and nothing to be worried about

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will be heading to AutoZone in about 10-15min

Okay great, I will be here. They should give you a printout with all the codes on it, just take a picture of that and upload it here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Not a problem!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Driving over 50mph in 4WD high or 4WD LOW? I was in 4WD low my husband says it's cuz I was in the low 4wd not thebhigh

4WD high is usually not much different than regular 2WD when it comes to the power transfer. 4WD low is a little more sensitive, but these usually have a safety feature that will switch positions if the vehicle is going above 35MPH, if it did not switch then it is possible there is damage somewhere. But as I said above, I don't think the check engine light is coming from driving it in 4wheel, I think there is a deeper problem present

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The error code is a misfire in cylinder 7 and a oil sensor control
IMG_20171116_191655.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_191728.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_191738.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_191718.jpgIMG_201...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The error code is a misfire in cylinder 7 and a oil sensor controlOk so I am in 2wd I put it in Nuetral then put it to 4WD Low then back to 2wd then drive in reverse for a couple hundred feet then what ?? Should it do something?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did that drove in reverse then turned my car off turned it back on the traction and stableizer were saying on but after a few seconds ding ding ding and the warning light for both traction control and Stabilization went to off ...
So could the traction and stableizer warning lights have anything to do with the check engine light blinking? I guess that is from cylinder 7 is it blinking now where months ago the check engine light was on all the time that was the same missfire cylinder 7 so is it now safe to think I have damaged the catalac converter since the engine light is blinking

Okay that sounds about right. These oil pressure sensors fail often, and can cause it to lose power. The misfire is probably what is causing the rough idle. I would suggest replacing the oil pressure sensor as well as cylinder #7 spark plug and coil.

The Traction/stability lights probably came on due to the difference in wheel speed that it saw while you where in 4wheel. Watch and make sure the lights do not come on anymore and we should be all good with that. We'll just need to get the engine back up to par

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lights traction control and Stabilization are still on showing the systems are off and it won't let us turn on ??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The warning lights for traction and Stabilization go on the off then back on again
Okay then there is something going on still. Are you guys comfortable doing the work yourself? If so i will link the tests for the traction system
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we can do it husband and friend good with cars just never had this type of issue never had a car with traction or staniltrak..
Would these issues be because ofe driving in 4wd LOW? Because my husband is saying it is all my fault and I should have known by how the car drove that 4wd feels different than 2wd he is just being rude so I am curious if I could have done this
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 30 days ago

Okay then first I would recommend getting the check engine light issues. Then when that is taken care of you will need to check out the traction system, since autozone's scanner was not able to read the ABS codes then it might need to get taken in to the dealer service center to check that out.

If the problem turns out to be in the transfer case or in the 4WD system then it is possible it happened as a result of driving in 4WD, but in my opinion I don't think that is your issue. The vehicle would have shown 4WD info in the display center, as well as a warning when it saw that it was driving. This may turn out to be a control module issue, there's just too much all going on for it to be related to driving it like that. So he may just be frustrated and taking it out in the wrong place, but I do not think you have to feel guilty about this one, weird things happen with vehicles all the time :)

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Our check engine light now starts blinking when we first started after about 10min the check engine light shuts off completely for about 3-4 min then the check engine light comes back in but is solid does not blink during this the traction and stabilitrak off lights go out then display as traction stabilitrak on then after 1-2min it beeps at me again then the traction stabilitrak warning goes to off beeps at me and displays traction control OFF Stabilitrak OFF the check engine light will go from solid to blinking again ? Also one of the error codes at AutoZone said something about a faulty airflow sensor but he just overlooked that error code said that is cuz the missfire
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 29 days ago

If the vehicle has a bad mass airflow sensor that could be causing alot of the driveability issues. Depending on how bad the misfire is that could be why the engine light is flashing.

It would be worth a shot to perform a reset and disconnect the battery for ten minutes. After disconnecting both battery terminals touch them together, this will drain voltage from the system and put the modules to sleep. AFfter ten minutes reconnect the battery and start it up, monitor and see which lights come back on. That will help clear the system of any false codes that code be throwing things off. If a sensor has failed somewhere it can throw a lot of whacky symptoms.

Let me know the results after the battery reset.

I hope up until know I have been helpful, and I will continue to stay here and help out until you get this figured out, I just ask that you take a minute to leave me a positive rating by clicking the stars above, as that is how I am compensated for my time here, Thank you :)

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician