Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1998 chevy silverado 1500 pickup. It suffers from…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 chevy silverado 1500 pickup. It suffers from an intermittent no-crank problem. Sometimes it will start just fine 10 times in a row, other times it won't crank at all. Then after trying it 5 or 6 times it starts again like nothing is wrong. Then it goes back to not starting again. One more thing, it fairly often shuts off while slowly backing up and going forward in a parking lot for instance. The other day it was idling in a parking lot in park and just suddenly shut off like I had turned off the key. It started right back up. The starter motor is brand new. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It was in "park" and no I do not know if it has "wheel lock feature."

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thinking about trying to fix it myself. What has been tried so far is the new starter motor that was put in just yesterday by my mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like 2 separate issues here.

When it will not start or engage the starter do you hear any clicking at all under hood or inside the vehicle when trying to start it?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I hear a click.
I don't have time for a phone call right now so i would just like a list of the most likely cause to the least likely causes and then I would attempt to fix it later.
Are you still there?

Unfortunately I have to step away for right now so I will open this up for others here to see if anyone else can help further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 5 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this?

Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN replied 5 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN
Phone call session started
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician