Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Rear door won't unlock. 2015 Impala. Won't open from outside…

Customer Question
Rear door won't unlock ...

Rear door won't unlock

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2015 Impala

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Won't open from outside or in. key fob will unlock the other 3 doors.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you see or hear the lock trying to unlock at all when trying to unlock it electronically?

Which door is this?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Passenger rear door. All other locks open and close.
I can't hear anything move in the door that will not unlock but I can with all others.

O.k.,what happens is the lock is part of the latch assembly that latches the door closed.This latch assembly fails and causes this issue here unfortunately.The bad part is when it is stuck closed like this it is hard to access the latch to replace it and to check the wiring to it for any issues.

Usually what has to be done is a AAA company or lock smith will have to use their tools to slip past the window to manually unlock it to then open the door then the door paneling can be removed to access the latch to check wiring and replace the latch if the wiring is o.k.

The only other option is to try and remove the door paneling with the door stuck closed which usually ends up resulting in a damaged door panel with the panel needing repaired or replaced after.

But the door has to be opened one of these ways to most likely replace the latch.The latch is most common for it to fail and causes the lock issue as well as not being able to open it from the inside or outside.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete