Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I changed out my ABS sensor yesterday and vehicle started

all faults cleared. This...
I changed out my ABS sensor yesterday and vehicle started all faults cleared. This morning will not turn over and the electrical system tries to turn itself on and off when I try to start
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No codes appeared and the hub for the front drivers side. The old connector got ripped out so bought a new harness and hub speed sensor with abs
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008 Chevy uplander.
JA: Are you fixing your Uplander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I disconnected the battery, tried resetting the computer, I was about to pull the bottom part of the dashboard out to check the wiring
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only thing I touched yesterday was the front drivers side wheel. I didn't move any other wires just made the 2 connections for the ABS sensor and didn't have a problem til this morning. Also the
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/16/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

do you have a voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do, my battery is at 12.29 v without load.

are the terminal tight to the point you cannot turn them by hand?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Correct

ok, and when you try to start the vehicle is it making any noise? a click? rapid clicks?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yesterday before I swapped out the faulty ABS sensor that was the only issue. After I replaced it started just fine and the faults cleared. This morning the first time I tried starting it didn't try to turn over and single click with the horn honking.

ok, when you try to start it, does the theft/security light go out?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
i checked all of my fuses to make sure the electric ignition was good and everything no faults in the fuses. I checked couple articles and it said the anti theft was the problem, and I decided to reset the computer by disconnecting the positive side of the battery for few minutes. Put the cable back on battery and tried again. Didn't honk or anything just clicked and then the radio and couple other electronics like door lock and everything started clicking on and off.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The anti theft light goes out when the key was turned to the start position and stayed off when key went back to the on position.

what does the anti theft light do when you turn the key just to the on (not start)position?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It stayed off,
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I thought about disconnecting the harness again from the new ABS. I was thinking it could have created a short from the drive axle pinching the harness.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
That is the only thing I can think of other than another short in the system just became active when I replaced the part and established the new connection.

thats a possibility. but i'm worried that the anti theft indicator is not flashing when you go to the run position. it should.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll check again.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It only flashes with key off when it is on run, on, or start it doesn't blink. Then when I take out my key I here an electronic clicking from the left side of the steering column

check those fuses.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Unless there is another fuse panel in the dash

theres is another inside.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Where at because I looked all over the drivers side don't see a hatch or anything like in most vehicles

right side

remove the kick panel on the passenger side

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
K found it

ok, check the fuses please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Both 1 and 7 are good

ok. standby

pull the crank relay out. the slots should be numbered 30,87,86,85 check for power in 30.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Keep the multimeter at 20v?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
11.45

sure

ok, now turn the key on and check 86

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Topped out 11.78

ok, put a jumper wire between 30 and 87

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
0.01
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
30 drops to 9.48

wait, what? 30 is reading 9.48 with the key on?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
9.20

check the batterys voltage please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yeah 30 to ground is reading 9.48 with key on run. 86 to ground shown .01v to ground

check the batterys voltage please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
With key turned to run it dropped down to 8.4 now

the battery?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I turned the key back to the off position and the voltage is going back up. I tried to send a video but the site froze. Right now it is at 11.83v and still climbing
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also even after I took the key out and removed the key it kept beeping like key was still in ignition.

do you have another vehicle to jump the battery with?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I need to push my van back 30 feet. And it is at 11.94 now.

ok, if the vehicle starts with a jump, replace the battery. let me know.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll let you know just got into position to try and jump but all the electronics keep beeping
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Not even turning over

relay back in?

ok, remove the relay and put a jumper between 30 to 87

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
13.7v

please jumper 30 to 87

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
On the relay is nothing where the relay goes while it was hooked up to the other car is the voltage above

remove the jumper cables. remove the relay. put a jumper ire between 30 and 87 please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is just like the battery building back up charge once I tried to crank. 11.87 is the current voltage

that not putting a jumper wire between 30 and 87. i dont care what the voltage is. please put a jumper wire between 30 and 87

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
K didn't know you meant for me to create a makeshift relay in order to test my current relay

i just want you to get a piece of wire. strip both ends. put one end in 30 and the other end in 87

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The starter clicks rapidly.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The starter clicks rapidly. But still doesn't crank
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
But still doesn't crank.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It clicks but the motor doesn't turn over.

ok, if its clicking rapidly change the battery. if its only clicking once, replace the starter.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
But if it was only a battery issue than the jump would of worked. It did not. Replacing the relay with the jumper tested the starter, it passed that test.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The relay could be part of the issue but that would not cause the rest of the electrical such as the radio and key sensor to act up.

a weak depleted cranking amp battery would.

you arent supplying cranking amps when you jump a battery. you are supplying volytage

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, I'll go get a new battery this one lasted over a year after I got the vehicle. Don't know when the last owner replaced it.

how old is the battery?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I don't see a date sticker of initial charge but I got the catalog number.

ok

I have to get to my shop. I will be back on in about an hour.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
K that's fine it'll take me a while to get the battery. I'm in no rush.

im back

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
K, I am on the way to pick up the new battery. Then gonna have to get the support bar off so I can replace the old battery.

ok

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It worked, thanks. Didn't think all those errors would of been from just the battery was thinking short or some other issue causing it.

weak batteries will cause all kind of faults because everything needs 12-14 volts to work.

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where do I rate you because I am really pleased with the results thought it would be a bunch of smart asses giving their opinions.

theres a rating scale on your side somewhere. thank you

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic