Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I relocated the battery in my 1989 c1500 and ran the

Customer Question
I relocated the battery...

I relocated the battery in my 1989 c1500 and ran the alternator charge wire to the hot wire on the solenoid instead of to the battery terminal. When the engine started it squealed the belt aon the alternator. Do I need to rrun the charge wire back to the battery like it was?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started when I relocated the battery to the bed. It was charging fine with no noise before. I just relocated the wire for so I would not have to lengthen it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

A 1989 Chevrolet 1500 pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C1500 Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have run the charge wire back to the battery but now the battery died from so much starting and stopping. I have it on slow charge now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

What color and size wire did you relocate? Did you leave a fusible link in the wire?

Or do yu have the two wire alternator instead of the 3 wire?

It is a stock new alternator that was charging perfectly just before relocating the battery. I ran longer #2 wires to the solenoid and ground but instead of running the charge wire to the original location I shortened it and put it on the hot wire on the solenoid. Then it squealed the belt. I unplugged the alternator and it stopped but squealed every time I hooked the charge wire up

I still need to know what color wire you moved and what size the wire is? I also need to know if it is the 2 wire or 3 wire alternator?