Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2014 Chevy Traverse. Vehicle sometimes shuts off or goes…

Customer Question
2014 Chevy Traverse. Vehicle sometimes...
2014 Chevy Traverse. Vehicle sometimes shuts off or goes into safe mode. I have noticed when it does shut off the voltage meter goes down to 13-14, then eventually it will either shut off while driving or traction light will come in and goes into safe mode. I have replace battery and alternator already yesterday. Vehicle ran for 6 hours yesterday and was driving 3-4 times for 30 minute intervals, never had an issue. Voltage was reading close to 15 all day, except for when sitting it ran 13.8-14 volt by looking at the gauge. It has been to 3 different shops, one being a Chevy dealer.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has helped You slipped through the cracks or all have viewed and passed. Is there more you can add to your post which may help us more so we can help you. Another option is to just write out another concern you may have and we can try to help on that. I do not want you to feel like we are a scam or avoiding you. We want to help you but we want to make sure the help we provide is not in vain and you will be pleased.

Chris

when driving this vehicle previously, after approximately 45 minutes of driving , the traction light would come on, then it would go into safe mode. At that time it wouldn’t go over a certain speed and idled extremely rough as if it were running on only 3-4 cylinders. Sometimes it would do it after 45 minutes, sometimes longer. Sometimes it wouldn’t do it until after you cut the vehicle off , then started up, then it would start running ruff. After it sits for 5-10 minutes it’s fine. But now it’s starting to cut off as well at times. When try to restart it immediately, it will only click repeatedly, not turning over. After few minutes then it will crank and be fine. It has been throwing voltage codes and ignition codes, reason Chevy dealer decided it needed an alternator, but that didn’t fix the problem. I did notice the voltage was higher after replacing the alternator the first day at closer to 15, but 2nd day driving was closer to 13. I’ve heard of bulletin of water leak. I had the fuse panel on passenger side checked and cleaned. I did notice a water leak due to bad seal in windshield, which was coming down passenger side on front side of door. Couple months ago I did notice water in compartment under the radio after a bad storm. I have replaced the battery and alternator so far. The computer was unplugged and plugged back at one point to try reset the system. It seemed to work for a day as well before it start back acting up. From what I can tell I’ve noticed the voltage meter on dash being below 14 when it acts up and closer to 15 on days when doesn’t act up.

Has anyone scanned ot to see what the code numbers are?

but I’m not 100% sure which codes it is actually. I’m sure I have them at the lot. I have small car lot and this is a customer’s car. I actually had another customer call today with a 2010 Traverse describing exact same issue.

As long as the running voltage is 13-15 volts then its not an alternator concern so we will have to go after the codes stored to figure this one out.

Ok. These are the codes I have saved on my phone. I will go by Chevy dealership in the morning and see what new codes came on when I dropped it off.

That will be great, do you want to hold off and respond tomorrow.

that be fine

Super

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris