Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 2008 HHR Panel LS, It has the base radio. It

Customer Question
I have an 2008...

I have an 2008 HHR Panel LS, It has the base radio. It started out the none of my speakers worked except for the tweeters up front. This only happened about half the time. Now that's happening all the time, Just tweeters working

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, this happens when I'm driving the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR Panel yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've toke out the radio and checked the wiring, everything good

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
How long does it usually take for an answer?
11/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a GM technician and would be happy to assist you with this today.

So I think you are experiencing an issue that is inside the radio assembly. The speakers and tweeters on these receive power directly from the radio assembly, and if the radio is not sending out signal for the speakers then they will not work. The tweeters run off a separate circuit so it is normal for these to receive signal and retain operation when the rest of the speakers have failed. Let me know if you have any more questions about the system, or if you would like me to get you diagrams/parts info :)

Gabriel, I replaced the stereo with an after market stereo...Planet stereo. I bought the adapter plug-in so it was plug and play. It did the same thing with the new stereo. Today I took off every door panel and replaced all the speaker wire from the door to the existing plug ins, Now the after market stereo will not come on, so I pluged in the factory radio and it comes on but no sound. I've got the console tore apart ready to try any thing
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 5 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Im not sure if Gabriel opted out or if you have requested someone else....Did you still need help

Have you by chance tried a known good speaker itself in any door

No

I suggest trying that....seeing you have a base radio there is no amp involved....I understand that you may find it hard to believe that all 4 speakers are blown.... but it happens all the time.....sometimes people don't realize that one is out...then another etc...

Would this cause it to work sometimes for a day or two then go out again for a few days?

The whole radio or just the audio

just the audio in the front and back speakers, the tweeters worked all the time, after I put in the new speaker wires, no audio works
I can't get the new radio to turn on,
The factory one turns on but no audio

Send me your VIN so i can check info on the exact system you have please

stand by
3GDA15D18S544043

Thanks for that info. Give me a few minutes

Its missing one digit....should be 17 characters long

The letter A should be the 5th digit

3GCDA15D18S544043...... Sorry really flustrated

No problem i got it from the last 8 of the vin...Based on the schematics i just reviewed your speakers are blown.. The other thing i wanted to bring to your attention is that there are 2 open recalls on your HHR that i highly recommend you get taken care of at your local GM dealer as soon as possible. Recall #14113 is to replace your ignition lock cylinder and keys. Recall #14092 is to replace your ignition switch

Why did my tweeters stop working when I changed the speaker wire?

Maybe you did something wrong?

If they worked before but don't work now until you rewired?

Should I go back with the original speaker wires

Yes i would

How sure are you that it's my speakers?
Percentage

Without being there actually testing myself......and based on what you have told me....99%.....

Thanks Todd, let me get the speakers and I'll let you know how it goes.....Do you think my factory radio is still good?

I hope your satisfied with my answer and the additional information i have provided pertaining to you vehicle. Rating this session 3-5 stars will keep it open for further follow up questions you may have for me. Thanks for rating......as far as your radio goes i would imagine it's still good

Really?

What??

Just wondering why you wouldn't leave a rating

Wow, After I left my last message I've been working on my car and eating a late lunch, I aint had time to get back on the computer.......I was going to give you an excellent .... but now I'm giving you nothing, If you message me again I'm calling and complaining on you

I didn't mean to be rude or pushy about it and i apologize if it came across that way....but i answered your question...and that's what this site is about....Thats all....I hope you get you're vehicle fixed

Were you able to try any speakers