Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can i run my 350 ci on magneto firing system? It is a 1989.

Customer Question
Can i run my...

Can i run my 350 ci on magneto firing system?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

It is a 1989

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I"m a self doer... i"ve changed the ecm twice and still having problems gitting it to run.it will run and fire with starting fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

It has been rebuilt with less than 50000 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My problem started when in got warm the engine would die..then i changed the ecm about a year ago...then the past month it started the same thing...but this time i could restart it with starting fluid and as long as im driving it was ok..but when i stopped at a red lite or stop sign it would go dead..so i put another ecm on it...now it won"t start unless i use starting fluid..it fires but won"t stay running.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 8 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

is this a fuel injected engine (throttle body , tune port , carburated)?

please so let me know!!

Thanks

it is throttle body

did you check fuel pressure?

what is the resistance of the fuel injectors?

thanks