Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've been looking for hours, and the ambient air sensor is…

Customer Question
I've been looking for...

I've been looking for hours, and the ambient air sensor is not located anywhere around the grill or front of radiator on my 2009 trailblazer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Ambient temperature sensor, and no codes are being triggered. I just lose air conditioning intermittently.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

The Auto Zone guy immediately said ambient air sensor when I said the air conditioner goes in and out, so I bought the sensor. He said it's right at the top of the grille, near the radiator. I also googled it, and saw lots of things. But my vehicle has NOTHING in the front of the vehicle, even after I removed the grill, crawled under the car and searched, removed the headlights, believe me, I have searched the entire front end of that truck.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/12/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 7 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

the parts guy at the parts place diaged your issue without knowing the proper checks.

it does show the sensor at the top of the radiator support under the hood but they do locate them in many areas. if you had an issue with the sensor, it would code. you gave no indication of any code.

I would start with checking the high and low side pressures for the ac system first to be sure the system is working correctly.

Roy

We've had the vehicle at a repair shop, but we still have the problem. I was shooting for something off the wall that a typical a/c repair guy wouldn't think of. That's why the ambient air sensor made sense to me.

yes but it would have coded.

anyway can you check the pressures???

Roy

No, I'm in for the night. Wore out, actually. I was trying to get an idea of where to start tomorrow. But when I checked the low side yesterday, it was just fine. But it was at a time when the a/c was working. Like I said, sometimes it works great, and sometimes the compressor just doesn't kick on at all.

what was the low side???

I was just using a cheap fill gauge, and it was reading around 40.

ok, the starting point is checking both pressures. that is the first step of many

Roy

I don't have that ability. But I'm sure that's the first thing the a/c shop did when they tried diagnosing the problem.

I still need the readings to help you.

I will opt out and see if anybody else can give you some guesses on this.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

your welcome