Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The engine dies when I put it in drive. I got fault codes…

Customer Question
The engine dies when...

The engine dies when I put it in drive. I got fault codes P0974 and P0700.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

No. It is a 2008 cobalt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/12/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Have you tried to hold down the gas pedal while shifting into drive to see if that helps?

no not yet. I can real fast.

I'd try that, then take it for a drive and see if it stalls again when coming to a stop. Let me know, thanks.

I tried holding the gas down and it still dies when I put it in drive. I forgot to tell you it does work in reverse. I got fault codes P0974 and P0700.

It sounds like the valve body has failed. Unplug electrical connector going into transmission to see if that solves the problem, if not this will prove problem is mechanical and not electrical. In that case I'd recommend replacing transmission if you could find one cheap or valve body. Here is a link to buy a replacement valve body, let me know if you have questions. Thanks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-4T40E-4T45E-Valve-Body-2006-2008-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-Sonnax-Updated-Dyno-Tested/291898143299?fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3ACobalt&hash=item43f67c3243:g:wr4AAOSwnNBXbKtP&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0​

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.