Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oil burning, noticed it about 3 years ago. have 188,000

Customer Question
Oil burning, noticed it...

Oil burning, noticed it about 3 years ago. have 188,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Due now, I change every 3500 miles. I've had great luck with length of time my 84 GMC Jimmy, 280,000 miles, 92 GMC Suburban, 290,000 miles, my ford expedition, 285,000 miles lasted. (all were still performing and not burning oil at all ,sold them when I bought next one.). I have been buying from a friend who buys new and I buy from him at about 100,000 miles. My mechanic who I've had for 41 years just retired. Was fantastic. He advised that we add oil treatment with oil change, and oil loss seems to have been cut in about half. I have probably added about a quart since last oil change. Plugs were cleaned first week of May. had two oil changes since then, and need third now. Started burning higher grade of fuel; I need oil change now, at 3,500 miles and will get plugs cleaned, as missing is growing more noticeable. What do you ;think?.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Expedition?

Expedition was 1997. I bought it with 114,000 miles in 2003 and drove it till 2012 when I bought Tahoe with 97,000 miles. I know the seller did not worry about changing oil as regualrly as I do. When I bought the expedition, it was a quart and a half low; but, I never had any oil problem with that one; just the JED module a couple of times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sold expedition in 2012. Have tahoe now with 188,800 miles on it. II've always driven older cars and my mechanic taught me to change oil regularly, always check my fluild levels and avoid overhearting. About all I do is check levels and change light bulbs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My drive to work each day is about 10 miles each way and about 80% of that is on interstate. I8,000 miles per year.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 months ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

so your just looking for a suggestion on a good additive?

Not really. Couple of things:
Been reading lots of internet stuff about this; some talk about pcv, afm, manufacturer not responding to the problem, other things too.
One mechanic I spoke with; kind of auditioning him to take over for my retired mechanic, says lets try checking pcv first and being sure the problem is not there; relatively inexpensive. Put in clean plugs and monitor what happens. sounds reasonable and I'm probably going to try this.My question is that if that doesn't work, is my engine just going sieze up and i have to get replacment or new engine?
If the suggested fix doesn't work, should I just keep driving, making sure my oil level is good, until it craps out; or would it be smarter and cost less to go ahead and fix it before it blows up and leaves me stranded somewhere?

first step is to check the pcv next step check for any leaks...if both are good a leak down test would be performed to see if its internal and if its upper end or lower end...it will only seize if its run out of oil... doubt its a afm issue...that usually consists of a dead cylinder from a lifter collapse