Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 SS Passenger Side where the axle wont go in…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS Passenger Side where the axle wont go in because a pin or shaft blocking it from going all the way in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the casing on passenger side where axle slides in. What is the pin or shaft that is blocking the axle from going in all the way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need to know how to remove the pin or shaft or how to reposition the pin or shaft to get axle probperly seated.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
Whatever this Pin or Shaft is it caused the axle to leak out most of the transmission fluid. I have replaced axles before I have never seen this Pin or Shaft... What is it ? How to Fix it ? What caused it to slip and push axle out to cause a leak ?
11/11/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 9 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

did the transmission make a whining noise right before this happened?

No the car was running fine except it start leaking transmission fluid at the axle on passenger side.
Then started making grinding noise and wouldn't go into park or move at all when car was running.
Why is there a pin or shaft now in the way of putting the axle in ?
Can that pin or shaft be re-positioned so axle will slide in or is the tranny ruined ?
Are you going to answer ? Say something....

there shouldnt be a pin there

the only pin gos though the final drive[the differential]

what may have happened,is the final drive let go[broke or came apart] then it pushed your axle out and caused the leak..

if this is the case,the transmission will need to come apart to fix..it will need to be rebuilt or replaced

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/risompr5n62rkax/1111-montecarlo-Wheel%20Drive%20Shaft%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/risompr5n62rkax/1111-montecarlo-Wheel%20Drive%20Shaft%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

I will have to review the drawings and try to make sense which one is will work. So I basically have to remove the Transfer housing on passenger side of car. Sounds like it would be easier to get a used transmission and put it in the car... Im no mechanic and this seems really complicated. I was looking / hoping for a simpler fix than what you gave me. What would cause the pin / shaft to slip like this and would it happen again ?
The drawings dont seem to match my car or I'm looking at them wrong.... Are the part shown coming out of the transmission... The part where it show hammering the pin down is that part of transmission or the transfer... The more you can break in down for me to understand the better...

this is for your monte carlo

with automatic

yes,,i would think your transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced,,i think your problem is with the final drive

.