Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 96 s10 with 2.2 manual trans. Shut it off and now…

Customer Question
I have a 96 s10...
I have a 96 s10 with 2.2 manual trans. Shut it off and now wont restart. New fuel pump, regulator, plugs. Timing chain has no slack and marks line up. starts with starting fluid only. Roughly.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/11/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 5 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

If so, what is the fuel pressure at when cranking?

fuel system is all new

I understand sir.

it runs
no port to check

Got it!

Are there any antitheft or security lights on or flashing on the cluster when trying to start the engine?

no

Have you checked injector pulse?

If not, that would be your next step.

truck was running into gas station. wouldn't restart. How would injector pulse drop that quick? Wouldn't that be a crank sensor out then?

YES, the crank sensor, TPS, MAP sensor or something else like a wiring issue or a faulty PCM could do this.

However, it would need to be checked before replacing anything.

Also, you would need to verify fuel pressure is within specs just to be sure it is within specifications.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

live data shows they are all within parameters

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

no. open it to other experts.

Sure thing.

Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 5 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

do you still need help???

if you still need help, I am standing by

Roy

ok.

you said all readings were normal?? how did you verify when the engine is not running???

1. check fuel pressure. I know the engine does not have a port. you need to T into the fuel filter to verify correct pressure

2. did you verify it has spark?? does the tach move or do you have rpm reading with cranking???

3. are there any codes??

Roy

1. new pump, filter and regulator. fills quart jar really fast.
2. yes. at plug and live data shows rpm signal.
3. no.

if you spray starter fluid into the air filter does it start and stall??

did you use a noid light on the injector to see if the pcm is commanding the injector on and off???

Roy

the fuel pressure spec is 41-47 lbs. anything below that is no good.

is this a pick up or blaser series???

starting fluid will run and stall. Its a pickup.
Will be a bit till I can get to pull more stuff to check injectors with a noid light. Will let you know when I can.

ok, then at least you know it is a fuel delivery issue.

one thing, there were 2 fuel pumps available for this in that year. there was a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump. I have got bit on this where the parts store gave me a low pressure pump instead of the high pressure pump. thats why I suggested you check the actual pressure. you can rent a gauge at a parts store and T into the filter to see the actual pressure.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

4 parts stores and none of them show 2 different pressure pumps.

what brand and number pump did you get?? I have been through this many times. the parts guys look up for S10 blaser and do not look to see whether it is a pick up or suv. the suv has a different pump for a 2 door or 4 door.

Roy

fg0027
delphi

ok, sorry, on phone with another customer

let me check

yep, thats the one for it.

you still need to verify the pressure to rule out a bad new pump

Roy

Still no start. Fuel pressure is 45psi. Timing marks line up like they should. Removed valve cover and rockers are doing what they are supposed to.
Compression is
1 150
2 60
3 60
4 60

compression is no good. you have 3 cylinders with next to no compression.

put a couple of squirts of oil in the cylinders and re check compression

Roy

also was told on a leak down of number 1 cylinder, had to rotate 1/4 turn past top dead and the it sealed.

thats not right

agreed.

re check the timing marks

he has to reinstall timing set tomorrow and will try ther oil trick and let you know.

sounds good

Roy

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest