Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I loose coolant when towing but it does not over heat. No…

Customer Question
I loose coolant...

I loose coolant when towing but it does not over heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 3500 6.6 diesel 54000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Add coolant is all only a pint at a time when low coolant mesg is displayed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What anti freeze shoud I use in it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 6 months ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
is it getting warm?

normal
200
never over heats

When there are no signs of losing coolant but its going and your head gaskets are ok this is a common symptom of duramax's especially the lbz's and only presents in trucks that are towing moderate to heavy loads or high hp/tq and being romped on.

you are losing coolant between the block and the rear cover where the trans bolts to. coolant flows through that rear cover and there are two orings that seal it to the block. when you are applying "a lot" of torque you get a small amount of separation between the block and rear cover and that 10-20 psi of coolant pressure pushes out. you can lose up to a cup on a decent uphill grade if you are towing a decent load

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy