Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 gmc 3500. Imported to france. Euro

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1996 gmc 3500. Imported to france. Euro certification dictates a separate amber flasher. I need to get creative with a mod. So I think i need a 3 wire to 4 wire conversion. I have been looking at the diagrams. I wonder If I delete the white wire going to turn switch, Then use the light blue from the brake relay for dedicated bake light in the original tail light. Then use the yellow and green wires to new amber rear signal lights. Would that work?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your GMC 3500. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No just that the tech here says the 4 way flasher can't be with the brake circuit and all flashers must be amber.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/10/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Not necessary to butcher up the wiring. as you know over hear we have vehicle's that have both red and amber. instead of the white 1157 bulb behind a red lens the other cars such as the asian imports use an 1157A amber bulb behind a clear lens.

So your choice .

The trouble is the brake light and the indicator come from the switch using one wire. It needs to have a separate feed for brake and indicator.
I am in france so the telephone number couldnt be entered correctly. I tried calling you....buzy.
okay continue with chat, any advice?

no need for that extra expense I hear what your saying it is a two bulb system instead of a 4 as the imports are , and the bulbs are a double element instead of a single for the flashers .

The fronts will be a piece of cake but the backs can be done I just don't know where you can stick the bulb or light , the wiring is no problem.

The fronts meet euro standards. For the rear I can add auxiliary amber flashing units. My question relates to the wiring.
Rear brakes, turn signals and emergency flashers share one bulb. The brake switch sends a signal to the turn switch and the indicator some how interrupts brake activation on that side.I need to separate this function.
here is the schematic.

sorry all blurry on my end.

I will opt out so another mat help you better.

opt out? Thought it was a straightforward question for an Expert!! so be it.

Hello again I see no one else has stepped in to help so I did a little research and found an easy way for you to do this instead of getting into the wiring too involved . Would you be interested in my suggestion?