Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The engine and traction control lights are on, and there is

a "service traction" message on...
The engine and traction control lights are on, and there is a "service traction" message on my 2011 Malibu.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No, I don't
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened a little while ago. I haven't tried anything yet. Not quite sure where to start. Could it be something as simple as needing to replace a fuse?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: After the lights and message came on, the car starting driving a little rough. Some shaking.
11/9/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If the engine is running a little bit rough, then you likely have a misfire. This isn't going to be a fuse issue, but more like an ignition coil or plug type of issue. The traction control light is a side affect of the check engine light coming on.

You can drive the car, but I would not drive it a lot with the misfire. It can damage the catalytic converter and become an expensive problem. Most of the time this is the issue if the engine is shaking.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician