Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No response from steering wheel controls, horn, cruise,

Customer Question
No response from steering...

No response from steering wheel controls, horn, cruise, radio, 2007 chevy equinox

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Watched videos and searches

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/8/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 9 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am reviewing your question now, I will reply shortly

Thanks for waiting,. The problem is going to be what we call the "clockspring" it is the unit below the steering wheel that allows connections between the steering wheel controls and the vehicle. It is called the airbag coil in the repair info but most common called the clockspring. When they fail? you lose any and all steering wheel controls like you mention. At some point you could even get an airbag light on dash. I have attached a file showing how to change it. Not too hard if you know how to remove the steering wheel with a puller.

Description:

The steering wheel module coil is attached to the steering column and is located under the steering wheel. The steering wheel module coil consists of 2 or more current-carrying coils. The coils allow the rotation of the steering wheel while maintaining continuous electrical contact between the driver deployment loop and the steering wheel module. Four coil wires are used for the steering wheel module deployment loop. Additional coil wires are used for accessories attached to the steering wheel depending on the vehicle model. The steering wheel module coil connector is located near the base of the steering column. The connector contains a shorting bar that shorts the steering wheel module coildeployment loop circuitry to prevent unwanted deployment of the air bag when it is disconnected.

Please Leave a star Rating for my service I have provided. Rate now and this post will remain open for followups if needed, Rating does NOT close this post. I am here to help, Thanks Randall