Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 blazer xtreme motor won't start on first try but 99 out…

Customer Question
2002 blazer xtreme...

2002 blazer xtreme motor won't start on first try but 99 out of 100 on second try

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery and twice cleaned cable terminals

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel pump relay ok checked as many grounds as possible ,turn key to on posisititon can hear fuel pump run for couple of seconds turn to run won't start turn key to on second time fuel pump comes on and has a deeper sound , and will start no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried starting fluid and fired up first time and ran normally

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 9 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey How are yoiu ,I will try to help you with issues here

the fuel system pressuer needs checking

3 possibility here

1- fuel pump weal not uo to specs it needs to be between 60 to 66 psi on theses blazer

2- Fuel injectors one or more leaking and when turn switch off the pump will prime fuel rail again bring it up to the\at level it needs

3- fuel pressure regulator a tiny crack causing diaphragm to leak down and taking pressuer down for split second causing a small variation in pressure , which you shooting starting fluid kind confirm adding fuel is fixing it at start up but why is what we need to find out between the 3 possibilties to be accurate and not throwing parts at it

lick on link to view the Fuel testing steps and gauge needed , ,Fuel specs and a Fuel Diagnostic table for fuel issue to help you trouble shoot

with all that said the fuel pump most likely weak, most common but that does not mean, injector, or regulator , fuel filter if not replace replace and retest pressure ,vacuum on the regulator make sure no leaks , check also important .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

2002 Chevy Truck S10/T10 Blazer 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W

Fuel System Pressure

Key On Engine Off60-66 psi