Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The engine coolant light keeps coming on and the tank is…

Customer Question
The engine coolant light...

The engine coolant light keeps coming on and the tank is filled with water

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The light that represents something being wrong with the engine coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 chevy cavalier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet it's a used car so i don't know what type of coolant thats been used on it and I don't want to mess anything up. I was planning on just getting some dex cool and see what happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site...than coolant level sensor will need replaced

i have enough coolant it's just the sensor that is messed up

if you reservoir is full and your radiator is full, yes

Chevy Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

I agree. This does sound like either a bad coolant level sensor ( most likely) or an issue with the connector on the sensor. It is located in the coolant reservoir and has a small 2 wire connector going to it with a yellow/black wire and a black/white wire.

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician