Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light came on and the guy at the autoparts…

My check engine light...

My check engine light came on and the guy at the autoparts store said it was the air intake heater. its a 2014 duramax 2500 4WD. could it be multiple things or just change the part and go?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing yet. don't want to get in over my head

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that's it

10/23/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi im David thanks for visiting the site. what was the code number

I'm not really sure
is there any way I can get the code this evening and send it to you for your response?

absolutely

I'm at work and my phone does not have hardly any service.
no,I'm at work and my phone does not have hardly any service.
The code was...PO54A

ok, thanks please standby

I checked the wiring and couldn't see any chafing or ware on the protective sleeve.

the code is for a camshaft position sensor timing over advanced.

What does that mean in shadetree terms.

P054A - Cold Start Exhaust 'B' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced Bank 1 Possible causes Camshaft timing incorrectly set Continuous oil flow to the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) piston chamber VCT solenoid valve stuck open Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit) Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P054A Description The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) position for an over-advanced camshaft timing during cold start up. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in an advanced position.

most probable cause, dirty oil and a clogged screen on the bank1 vct solenoid valve.

Besides an oil change.... Which I am due. What about vct1 screen. Can a normal/ man without a mechanics background fix it?

I would think so. yes

I would try the oil change first, then have the code erased. then drive it.

I know you have worked hard to be in the field and position you are in... And I thank you and appreciate your help. But if I had a bunch of money I'd let you fix it... No problem. But since I don't.... Where the heck is the "bank 1 vct solenoid screen.
Lol thanks

you would be surprised by just having the oil changed actually fixes this problem

Thank you... I do appreciate your help.

you're welcome, Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you very much

I have changed my oil and unhooked my battery for 30 min. and added oil treatment. the check engine light is still on. maybe a bad sensor?

have the code read. lets see what fault code it is. if its the same one then the solenoid needs replaced.

I will try that. Thank you

you are very welcome and again keep me in the loop