Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 6.6l diesel that won't start. It

I have a 2005 GMC...
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 6.6l diesel that won't start. It ran well as usual and no other signals to indicate any trouble. Last year I had the fuel filter housing replaced as it had developed an air leak: had to prime it to start the engine; engine ran great after priming. I went to start the engine this morning and it will not start, but the fuel filter primes quickly, whereas the old primed with 15-20 strokes. I've been on a forum and they seem to point to the FICM wire harness. Any ideas?
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: No leaks
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
10/23/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the security/theft light flashing or on solid when you try and start it and let go of the key ( without turning it back any) with this issue?It may look like a picture of a car with a lock across it.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Security light is out

If you hand pump the primer until firm does it try to start at all?

Have you had the fault codes checked in the ecm and ficm with a compatible scan tool at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hand pumped primer and used bleed screw. No air and primes almost immediately, no start

Have you had the fault codes checked at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I don't have acess to the test equipment

O.k.,the best thing to do here is to have the fault codes checked.This will help quite a bit in helping determine the cause.If three is any way you can get the codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool this will help just let me know.

It is possible this is the FICM wires shorted but its hard to say without knowing what codes are set.Follow the FICM harness to the injectors at the valve covers.If it is shorted or damaged it will be at brackets near the ficm and valve covers that the harness can rub on.

But there are several components that can cause a no start from a faulty injection pump,injectors allowing to much fuel into a cylinder or through their return as well as other issues like a crank sensor fault.Having the codes checked will help quite a bit.

If your glow plug wait to start light does not turn off within 10 seconds of having the key on this indicates a glow plug issue possibly with the glow plug controller at fault.

So you can see it can lead to several possible causes all depending on what is occuring as well as what codes are set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One question : after priming and attempted start, should the fuel filter ptimer need priming again? This happens each time I attempt a start after reprime

No it shouldnt.

It should self prime and no priming needed if the fuel system is working properly.With the bleeder screw tight it should pump and firm up after maybe 4 to 10 pumps.If it does not firm up this may be a restricted fuel filter or a leak in the feed to the fuel filter housing or leak at the housing or filter.You can usually locate a leak by priming until firm ( bleed screw tight) and observe the fuel lines and fuel filter area for any leaks.Any leaks at all will cause this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician