Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 chevy silverado, when I turn the ignition to…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 chevy silverado, when I turn the ignition to on position without starting the engine I hear a noise behind the dash. I sounds like a fan rubbing against housing. But the heater fan switch is not turned on. Do you have any idea what could be causing this noise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I recently had the ac serviced and refrigerant recharged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I purchased the truck 2 months ago and have been living with the noise. I have only started to investigate. I removed the shroud under the dash but do not see anything loose

10/21/2017
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer.

Noises are hard to diagnosis.

Can you record a video while it makes the noise and post it here?

Thank you

I can try

If you can not get it to post here. Try putting it on youtube and send me the link.

Thank you

It says file is too large

Can you post it on youtube or Dropbox and send me the link?

Uploading to YouTube now

ok

I responded to your text with youtube link

I don't see a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3IQPi4eLg
I added like to this exchange

just watched it.

If you open your glove box you can see the recalculation door. I think you can put your hand on it or just watch it.

See if the noise is coming from it

I can see it and it is making the louder noise. But what is making it vibrate? Is it a bad actuator?

Yes the actuator is looking for park position for the door. And it keeps trying to close the door and makes this noise.

You could try disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together.

This will reset every thing.

If not than the actuator is bad.

I hope this helps

ok I will try that but where is the actuator located?
are these two different parts?

The one pic is the complete assembly. Showing it is on the far right side.

The other is the actuator on the door.

GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Gotcha
Let me know if you need more help.
Please take a moment and rate my service.