Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I went to start the car with my remote and I heard the clip…

I went to start...

I went to start the car with my remote and I heard the clip before it starts then nothing. then I heard a continuing clicking noise coming from the fuse box and under the dash. tried to star manually and the malfunction indicator lamp came on. for a period I could not get the key out of the ignition, After trying to start the car a few times the immobilizer light came on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

I checked the fuse box under the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2012 Camaro RS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Found the module that was clicking in the fusebox under hood. pulled it and putit back.

10/21/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. have you tried the 30 minute relearn yet?

Don't know what that is

ok, standby

turn key on. security light should flash. wait until it goes steady on.(approximately 10 minutes). turn key off.

start the car

I will try that. Will I be able to get back to you in case it doesn't work?

absolutely. right here

Even if I wait till tomorrow?

yes sir.

Ok. I will let you know. Hopefully this will do it. Thanks for your help.

I hope so too. you're welcome. Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you. please let me know if it works or not, so we can move on if needed.

David. When you say security light, do you mean the light that flashes when the system is armed. That does no light at all. Even when the key is removed.

do you have a symbol of a key or a lock on the instrument cluster?

I waited ten minutes and it has the message "service theft prevention system". I am waiting for the second ten minutes right now.
The light does not flash at all. It just comes on and stays on.
After waiting 10 minutes, it tells me to roll down/up windows and that's when I get the "service theft prevention system". Also I just realized that the lock is on when the key is in the off position. The only light that comes on with the key on is malfunction indicator lamp, which indicates a OBD II problem. ( on board diagnostic generation II

ok, wow. disconnect the battery, both terminals. rub them together for 10 seconds. let them hang loose for 30 minutes. reconnect them. thats the master reset. see if that helps

I almost tried that but thought I'd better talk to somebody first. I will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

let me know how it turns out.

David. I guess I should have checked the battery first because when I pulled the spare (Battery is under it) there was 2-3 inches of water in the space where the battery was! One of the wire harness connections was underwater as well. So I pulled everything out of trunk, dried everything off and checked the battery. Says it need a charge so I'm charging it now. Cross your fingers. I have no idea how the water got in there. I didn't drive it during the hurricane so it wasn't from flood waters?????

bad weather stripping. how is t running now?

Same thing. Any ideas?

if the wiring harness connections were under water there has to be a fuse blown some where

Well there are 3 different fuse box locations so I will tackle that tomorrow. Thanks.

ill send you some of the fuses that i think need checked

Great. Thanks
Got it. I will let you know tomorrow.

ok, please do

Checked the fuses that you suggested, plus some other ones and all check out. could it be one of the modules in with the uses?

with that thing full of water it could be many different things. let me think about this one.

Unless you have anymore ideas, I'm going to bring it to my mechanic and have him run it on the computer.

still not cranking?

pull the starter relay, jumper 30 to 87 of the connector for the relay.

I dont have relays or fuses with those numbers unless your talking about something else.

its not the number of the relay. if you pull the relay out. there will be numbers on the relay basr of the relay itself

Got it. What should happen when I do this?

the starter should crank

Ok. So you want me to jumper it then plug back in?

no leave the relay out.

just let me know if it cranks

No. It sounds like a click an the back of the block. Maybe the starter.
.

ok then the starter is bad. by jumping 30 to 87 you are directly putting 12 volts to the starter solenoid

Great. Well at least I know whats wrong with it. Is that what's causing all the eletrical to flash and no being able to get the key out sometimes?

that could be a totally different issue. you gotta remember stuff was under water.

OK. Well thanks for the help.

you bet. good luck my friend

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic