Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Neither of my key fobs are being recognized by my Equinox…

Neither of my key...

Neither of my key fobs are being recognized by my Equinox this morning and I couldn’t manually unlock the rest of the doors until I started the vehicle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Both batteries? They were both working fine last night.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Equinox?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t done anything yet. I just got back from taking my daughter to school. I am concerned it may be an electrical issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know to ask off the top of my head.

10/20/2017
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.

So one thing that I found straight away is a lubrication issue in the ignition cylinder. If the system thinks the key is in the cylinder, it disables the remotes. Have a look at the picture I posted, check that and see if it applies to yours. IF so, a light lubrication and working the key in a few times should correct this.

Use a little wd40, LITTLE BIT, not much. IF doing that makes it work then that was the issue.

That is the only bulletin (info) from GM with your issue, so if this does not fix it then we could be looking at a body control module issue.

Put a littl bit of WD-40 and then put the key in and out 4-5 times. I even started the vehicle. Neither key fob is working still.

OK, did you try taking off the battery, waiting 20 minutes with them off and see if that restores functions.

Vehicle battery not the remote battery.

On the remote, there is a lower cover on the back that comes off.

You pry between the key blade and the cover.

Ah okay. And thank you, ***** *****’t sure how to open them. So just remove the cables from the battery posts for 20 minutes?

yes.

Okay, I will try that.

Ok, let me know what happens.

If this does not work then we may need to visit a dealer to get it diagnosed with the computer. There are only so many things we can check without interacting with the module that controls this.

Okay I will let you know. If it doesn’t work I will contact my dealership and schedule an appointment.

Ok, is there more I can get you?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. :)

Thank you, ***** ***** have been most helpful. I think I’m good from here. Would you like me to post the problem if I do have to visit my dealership in a follow up response so you have it for future reference?

YEs please, I always like to know what the end result was.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
I will let you know the end result. Thank you for your time!
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician