Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Tahoe 5.3 4w I know I need rear brake pads and the

2000 Tahoe 5.3 4wI know...
2000 Tahoe 5.3 4wI know I need rear brake pads and the rotors look good, the front pads look ok but here is a pic of the front:
10/20/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you Mic these rotor to see if they are thick enough to be resurfaced?

I have not, I just was going to buy new ones since they are around $45. But if I don't need to buy them, that would be better.

You may just get away with having them machined providing there are still thick enough, nothing to loose by at least checking this first. Worse case is there to thin and then you can go ahead and just replace them.

How do they look?

They look pretty rough but I can not tell the thickness from here. If your not concerned with the price and money not an issue I think If it where me, I would just replace them and start fresh with proper normal thickness rotors and be done with it.

Placement of jack stands. I have the jack plate which I am going to lift the rear tires, Just never used a jack stand for this size. I borrowed them from my neighbor I was thinking by back on the frame.

The frame well work fine on the rear and for the front you can place them under the lower control arm.

confused here, where should I put the jack and the stand.Here is a pick of what I have :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/siz31pys1bqbiza/20171020_153603.jpg?dl=0

Place your jack stand right under the sway bar right at the bushing and you should be fine. Right next to your jack.

but where do I put the jack at, can you show me on that pick

It looks like your jack is on the sway bar and that will work to lift it. Or you can move forward and place your jack on the leaf spring shekel where it connects to the frame See this link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnlijox70oy0hry/lifting%20Oct%2020.pdf?dl=0

can you show me on the pic. hard time understanding that pdf.
jack won't fit where you want it, it hits the tire but can I put the jack where the stand goes and put the stand under the frame in front of the tire.

That will work as well. Which ever way your jack fits best will do the job for you.

ok and for the jack stand. I can put it here :https://www.dropbox.com/s/27tmaw4je03yea4/20171020_160015.jpg?dl=0Or is there a better place?

You can place them there but keep them close to where they bolt to the frame.

Where would that be?
put it where your arrow is ?

Yes slide the stand right under and set it down on the stands.

Yes that fine.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician