Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 3500hd 6.6 throwing a maf code ..have a few questions…

Hi, 2008 3500hd 6.6 throwing...
Hi, 2008 3500hd 6.6 throwing a maf code ..have a few questions
10/20/2017
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.

What questions about the P0101 do you have?

well here is whats up ..egr cooler started leaking could smell it burning ..loosing coolant ..egr light coming on ..I assume it dumped anti freeze into the exhaust ,,replaced it with aftermarket unit ..dorman ..everybody flipped said needs to be gm unit ..took to dealer had it replaced ..dealer unit ..should be good to go ..get ready to leave and its throwing a po101 so I buy a new maf ..still throwing the code couldn't even get 5 ft ..dealer keeps it a week and tells me dpf and doc need to be replaced ...even thought its throwing a p101 does this sound rite ...
maybe the anti freeze getting in the exhaust got everything gooie?
That code only means there is improper air flow through the sensor, and since the engine is a large air pump, anything that changes or limits air flow will set this code. So yes exhaust that is plugged will cause this code. To have too much coolant flow through the exhaust will plug up the pores in the converters and will limit flow. So yes this does sound plausible.
ok ..Im a little pissed they told me the maf was bad and sucked me into another bill that didn't fix the issue ..or I prob would have had them fix it ....after dumping 2500 on the cooler and then 300 on the maf I didn't feel dropping almost 5 k on a dpf and doc with them was a good move ..I found a place in my area that repairs both for like 800 including labor ..just want another opinion on the issue ..8k and I still have an issue id be pretty upset
your saying the maf is reading a different flow through the intake do to the plugged up doc and dpf which will cause to fault ...?
The software knows how much air should be flowing through the engine so if there is less, it sets this code. So yes plugged doc or dpf will set this code.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
ok ..im going to move forward cleaning the DPF and the DOC and see if it fixes the issue ....thanks