Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

This is regarding the 1990 K1500 stroker FAST EZ EFI 2.0

project. I need to seal...
This is regarding the 1990 K1500 stroker FAST EZ EFI 2.0 project. I need to seal the floor board shifter hole opening with the shifter boot. A compressible 1/2 rubber seal would be perfect. Also, I need a 1-way valve for the transmission breather (NV4500). What size hose should be used? Length? Where should it be secured? The breather tube is located just to the right (passenger side) of shift tower?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The breather tube is located just to the right (passenger side) of shift tower.
10/19/2017
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

The line is 5/16" ID. If you don't plan on any deep water crossing it can be pretty short like as supplied HERE. Alternatively it can be ran as high as you need and secured to the firewall.

On the seal are you referring to the piece that goes under the shift boot in the floor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The seal between the shift boot and floor. I removed the rug. I used roll-on bedliner to rhino-coat the floor. The mounting surface for the shifter boot is painted steel. Therefore, I need to seal the shifter boot opening, needs to be water tight. I’m not going to run it in deep water, but in case it rains, puddles etc, need to keep water out of the cab.

OK, the original insulator is discontinued, I did some searching and couldn't find it new old stock anywhere. Here's the link to it. Another option would be to cut one from a foam block. So foam with another rubber type boot would be an option. Finally if you wanted full custom rubber you could contact Charleston Rubber and Gasket. They can make any type of rubber piece up to 3 inches thick. You could make a foam templete and they should be able to copy it.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t have to be exact, just thick enough that when the boot is screwed into the floor, it seals it. Please post a link for a foam block that could be used to cut it out of. Thank you.

You could go with standard poly foam or a more water resistant closed cell poly foam. I usually use 2 Thick and cut it with an electric knife. You can cut it with a groove through the thickness to make it fit tight in the sheet metal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. It originally came with an NV3500. There was a thick piece of foam that surrounded the shift tower and top of the transmission, between the bottom of the floor board and transmission. I didn’t see much use for it other than covering the screws that came through the floor board that held the shifter boot in place. I have converted to an NV4500. Do I need something similar to that?
I don’t think there was an actual seal oe from the top between the shifter boot and floor board. I believe that the shifter bolt screws went through the carpet, foam padding, and a water proof layer beneath that. I’m not sure if you meant 1/2” or 2” thick piece. The shifter boot mount close to flush with the floor board now, but I don’t think it would seal it. It seems like a 1/2” or 3/4” seal would be enough to seal it once it is compressed as the screws that hold the shifter boot in place are tightened.

If the boot is pretty tight to the floor 1/2-3/4 will work. Just cut it to fit down in the hole and be tight to the sheet metal. Sometimes cutting a groove for it to lock in the metal works best to secure it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you recommend the 2” thick piece because it needs to fit into a groove so that the boot is sealed from the top, and there is some that goes around the top of the transmission line that oe piece of foam that I referred to? If that is not necessary, then the 3/4” thick piece will work then correct?

If you have enough space in the boot for it to go into the boot some it'll seal better. So you can cink of adjust up and down depending on clearance between bottom of floor and trans and the boot and floor pan. I'll post a little illustration below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I though you meant 2” thick then correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have another one when your ready.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I googled electric knife. All that came up was a kitchen utensil. Is that what you use? Seems like it would work well to cut foam sealant.

Yes, 2"

Yes, good old kitchen knife. They work awesome for foam.

I'll be online from now until midnight or so

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician