Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I replace the exhaust oxygen sensor, now I would like to

reset check engine lite. JA: Does...
I replace the exhaust oxygen sensor, now I would like to reset check engine lite.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I had it checked, they said exhaust O2 sensor. I replaced it and I am wonder hoe to reset the check engine light. Or should it just go off?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

There are 2 oxygen sensors on this vehicle. Did the p-code tell you the correct one to replace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe so

Ok. Great! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I will take it to the people who diagnosed it it was free.

My apologies for the phone call offer. This is force-sent by the website, not me. Please give me one moment to type out my reply.

Thanks for holding!

Ok- There are a few different options here. First- you can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for a minimum of five minutes. If you use this method, you will need to drive the vehicle roughly 50-75 miles. If the engine light does not come back... you're good to go. If it does- the oxygen sensor was not the problem.

Another option- simply drive the vehicle. Roughly 50-75 miles and the on-board computer will recognize the problem has been fixed, and will turn the light out by itself.

Last option- Most local big-chain parts stores, like AutoZone, will clear the codes for Free (except in California) right in their parking lot. Again, with this method, you'll need to drive 50-75 miles to see if the light comes back or not before you know if the problem is solved.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

No, If I would have gotten the book with the car I would Have known to drive it and it will let me know. thanks not sure five was what I wanted to pay. I new I could take it in and they could clear the code. Byron ******I learned a lesson today.

IF the light does come back... or if you still have the p-code and want me to double-check that the correct sensor was replaced... you can always reply back and I can be of some help!

This thread stays open for as long as you need it to! So if in 50-75 miles you still need my help... please feel free to reply back and we can pick it right back up from here!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -