Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 chevy sometimes its fine but once in awhile it…

i have a 2002 chevy...
i have a 2002 chevy monte carlo sometimes its fine but once in awhile it idles real high and and the transmission wont shift i chnged the tps but it still does the same thing
10/17/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

p0121
a gear ratio code for the transmission but the transmission only acts up when its high idle

Is this code still coming up with this issue after the TPS was replaced?

the p0121 tps code has been coming on no matter what the transmission was taken out redone and reinstalled it works perfect except when the idle goes up to 2500 then it wont shift out of first gear it seems to be worse when the car is warm

O.k.,the transmission usually wont shift properly or at all with the tps code issue here.The code has to be diagnosed and repaired to resolve this fault.Since the tps was already replaced this may be a fault with the wiring running to the tps or an issue with the engine computer needing replaced.Below is the diagnostic procedure that needs to be followed for this code to then be able to locate and repair this issue.This has to be followed to pinpoint which component is at fault.The wiring diagram is also included.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cepdfi9z40wg3a/t-10-17.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8bk0lpkr1g7hl5/tp-10-17.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxb4tlkpcdi51nu/tps-10-17.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

the car had both these codes and when it shifted before was very sloppy but now the shifts are fine except high idle

I posted an answer above on what needs done.This needs to be followed to pinpoint the fault.I suspect as most common a broken wire leading to the TPS.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician