Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 Chevy Impala - Rat chewed wires Mechanic repaired wires…

2000 Chevy Impala - Rat...
2000 Chevy Impala - Rat chewed wiresMechanic repaired wires and car cranks and runs well, but the radio worked for 10 minutes and now no sound to speakers.Radio tunes and the sound left incrementally. That is, speakers worked and then didn't and repeat 5 times until no sound.Need instructions for how to trace out and test speak wires.Jerry
10/17/2017
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

Is this Factory Radio?

Where was the damage done to the wiring?
Have you removed the Radio to trace wires?

s this Factory Radio?

Factory radio.original wire damage from rats was the wires top center of engine.I have not removed the Radio.Jerry

IF this is Factory Radio, there were 2 different Type Units used in 2000
Basic Unit where the Owner could set the "Theft Lock"

RDS Unit where the Radio has to be Unlocked via GM Dealer Scan Tool
Test Voltage + on "both sides" of Fuse RADIO, with Key ON, located in the Right Inside Fuse Panel at the end of the dash next to Passenger Door
IF Fuse is Good:
IF there is NO Display, you need to remove the Radio & Test the ORANGE wire for Constant Voltage +
IF the ORANGE wire has Constant Voltage + then the Unit likely needs GM Dealer Scan Tool to UNLOCK
IF the ORANGE wire does NOT have Voltage +, then there is a issue with wiring from the Right Fuse Panel to the Radio

.

Let me know if you need further......

When I wrote: Radio tunes and the sound left incrementally. That is, speakers worked and then didn't and repeat 5 times until no sound.Needinstructions for how to trace out and test speak wires.That means that the radio has power and will scan or seek, gives feedback that volume and balance and fade is working. I feel sure that the issue is in the wiring from the radio to the speakers. Need instructions for how to trace out and test speak wires.Jerry

IF this is Factory Radio & NO Factory AMP:
Remove Radio & OHM out the Speaker wires:
Front Left = GRAY & TAN
Front Right = DARK GREEN & LIGHT GREEN

Left Rear = BROWN & YELLOW
Right Rear = DARK BLUE & LIGHT BLUE

.

IF you have Factory AMP:
Remove the rear window trim panel Shelf to access the AMP Plugs
Disconnect Plugs from AMP
OHM same wires as above

.

OHM Out =

Connect BLACK Probe to good Ground.........Connect RED Probe to each wire posted.
IF Meter shows infinity 0000, then that wire is shorted to Ground -
Could be wire, could be speaker....you would need to trace wire down or remove Speaker & test Speaker.

.

Connect BLACK Probe to one wire of the pair colors posted
Connect RED Probe to the other wire of the pair colors posted
Meter should show some sort of OHMs.
IF Meter shows 0000 then the Speaker is shorted & bad

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics
Thanks.Decided to take it to a pro.Jerry
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics