Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt I have no spark but I have

injector pules, I just changed...
I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt I have no spark but I have injector pules, I just changed motors, the motor ran good except for Rod knocking. I didn't think it was crank sensor because I have injector
10/16/2017
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you pulled codes from the computer yet?

no codes

ok, then this is most likely a bad ignition control module, have you checked to see if there is an rpm signal on a scanner, when cranking?

I switch module from the know good one, my tach reads wile cranking, I also have injector pules

ok, are you at the vehicle now?

no
i can get to it I will have to change to my phone

it is coomon for the ignition switch to go bad on these, the switch sends power to the ICM on the pink wire, you need to check the voltage of at the pink wire and see if it has full voltage with the key on, if it does, then crank it over and see if the voltage drops, if it does, then the ignition switch is bad, can you check this?

give me 5m

no worries

I do have voltage there what should I see in volts Ill get my meter, I used my test light and do u have a wiring of that plug

the pink wire should have battery voltage with the key on, then hold that voltage while cranking, you need to use a voltmeter, not a test light,Tim

I hv 12.5 volts key on and 10 to 11 while cranking

is the battery fully charged?

I had on charge earlier cranking sounds fine Ill put back on, I'm wrapping up for the day am I able to contact you again tomorrow if so is there some points I can check, also am I correct in thinking that since I have injector pulse then I don't have a problem with the crank sensor

yes,if you have injector pulse, and also rpm when cranking, then its nt the crank sensor,Tim

Hey I'm back at it, is there something at the coil I could check to see if Its getting a RPM signal, so fare I have 12v on pink wire and ground on the black. open?

the pink wire at the ignition module?

check for power going into the coil, and if you have power, then instll a noid light on the coil connector and crank it, if the noid lights flash, then the coil is bad, if they dont, then the ignition module is not sending the ground signals to fire the coil,Tm

I believe the brown wire is a the reference wire if that's correct put the noid light between the two ?

I dont have the colors, but you put the noid light between the 3rd and 4th pins, and crank it,Tim

I think brown is it do u have any thing that will show those pins like a diagram? I haven't bee able to find a good schematic of the coil wires

unfortunately I do not have a pinout diagram,sorry

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH
thanks for your help

Anytime my friend,Tim

Hey a little FYI I found the problem with that vehicle, GM uses a multi ground connector to the front of the transmission and even though that connector looked good I cut the connector off and crimped and sutured a new end on, I borrowed a better scan tool then my reader a GM tech 2, I noticed every time I tried to start the car it would go out so I started looking for ground places. Thanks for your time.